Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes
This was posted by @ogs on another thread:

"AIR in the first versions only used iTunes as a file-path handler. It never used the sound output from iTunes. AIR was actually a complete stand alone player and transferred music data via its own communication to the amplifier."

This intrigued me!  And the above post might form part of the answer to my question, maybe?

I would like to expand this into a specific topic, or a specific query at least.

The question is:  Lets say you wanted to use iTunes as your music player, and you also wanted to achieve the highest possible sound quality with a Devialet amplifier.  How can this be achieved?

There are a few things I know.  If I use a PC / iTunes / WASAPI / AIR (a kind of pseudo WASAPI, with WASAPI enabled in Quick Time & volume control disabled), the sound quality is not as good as with either JRiver WASAPI or Roon WASAPI.  The SQ is good, but JRiver is noticeably a step up.

Also, it occurs to me that a simple solution would be to use a Mac of some sort, maybe with SSD, linear PSU, then USB to a Mutec MC3+USB, XLR to the Devialet.  I'm sure this would work (although F1eng had issues with a Mac + Mutec combo), but I am not sure if it would match a Melco or similar.  (does anyone know how good the SQ might be with this set up?)

But is there a better way?  What would be the ultimate solution?

No cheating and simply suggesting "Don't use iTunes".  This is a specific question, what is the ultimate sound quality solution for using iTunes + Devialet Expert?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Highest Possible Sound Quality from iTunes - by Confused - 04-Apr-2016, 18:00