Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D800 upgrade, is it worth it? Alternatives?
This is a fun topic. I'll add my perspective.

I'm looking for the best sound-quality for the least money and greatest convenience (which includes functions, space, heat, power use, etc.). My ideal would be small, active, full-range speakers with either physical or at least DSP room-correction which could take any digital source including multichannel AV.

Since there's no system which meets my ideal I compromise, prioritizing sound quality while giving up the least in other areas.

Devialet has worked hard to ensure that I have no brand loyalty, so I consider the whole market. However, The Devialet Expert are by far closest to my ideal that I've seen. In terms of sound quality I've only heard better (to my taste) at much higher expense, size, and complexity. I don't know of any active speakers that support multichannel, and all are compromised in other ways as well, although I'm very interested in Kii and Devialet Phantom. Any decent AV Receiver is far more convenient (AirPlay = "A.I.R" that always works, better source support, room correction, multichannel, an "off" switch, etc..) but no AVR sounds anywhere as good as a D200. Many other integrated amps have more of the functions that I want than Devialet, but none of them sound as good either. There are probably better sounding non-integrated amps (Soulution for example) but at higher costs and inconveniences. The Devialet Expert have a lot of what I want. Devialet S.A.M gets me closer to active speakers than any other amp this side of Linn Exaktbox (which are compromised in other ways). Devialet A.I.R works well enough to allow me to play music when convenience is important, and the other digital connections of the Devialet Expert allow me to get better sound quality from room-corrected wired sources. Mostly though, Devialet A.D.H is the best mix of what I like in typical Class-A and Class-D sounds. I've auditioned many alternatives but on balance keep preferring the Devialet sound. I've heard many lovely systems, but none more to my taste than those driven by Devialet Expert (within the realm of realism). I've heard many things sound better in one way or another, but not on balance. Yes, I've heard systems that cost more than my house and require a room almost as big as my house, but while I love hearing ultimate possibilities I'm really going for the best sound in my room. I also appreciate having money left for music (live and recorded).

It is fun to think about all the possibilities. I look forward to reading everyone else's thoughts.

Messages In This Thread
RE: D800 upgrade, is it worth it? Alternatives? - by deviousalet - 19-Jul-2016, 18:09