Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Experimenting with speaker/listening position
Hi,

Just wanted to share my recent positive experience repositioning the speakers, more specifically their "toe in".

About two months ago I decided to place the speakers closer to each other, so I moved them by about 5 to 7 cms closer to the center. I adjusted the toe in and after a couple of weeks of listening I was sure to have improved on the previous set up, not by a great deal, but nonetheless, enough to be noticeable.

Three weeks ago I thought about playing with their toe in so I started by positioning them parallel to the side walls (no toe in). Now, this is a position I've never seen anywhere, not even in the manual.
I thought I would be losing some time, but preferred to start from a more "neutral" position and modify by small increments progressively.
My very first impression was surprisingly very positive, which isn't normally the case. I thought of leaving them like this (no toe in) for a few days to digest the change. After about ten very happy days like that I thought of coming back to the original amount of toe in to see what would happen. The immediate effect was negative; a clear degradation of the sound scene, specially with regards to pin-point of instruments/voices, soundstage depth and overall realism. So, after another couple of days, I started to gradually bring them back to no toe in, leaving them for a few days in each position to gauge the change. In the end, I am still surprised that no toe in seems to work (by far) best in their current position with regards to side and back walls.

I would measure this little experiment as an improvement as noticeable and positive as when I added the Hi-Cap DR (an improved power supply for those not familiar) to my Supernait in my previous Naim set-up, which says a lot.

So be sure to experiment, even minimally, because small changes in position like this may help you to get closer to reaching your system's full potential. After all, the most significant aspect that influences sound quality is room interaction.

I may have stated the obvious but still hope my experience helps someone! Smile
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy

Messages In This Thread
Experimenting with speaker/listening position - by MusicLover - 18-Jul-2016, 22:12