Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows AIR 3 sound quality observations
Well, I was thrilled with AIR 3 beta since it was released, right up until last night when it dumped into white noise that sounded exactly as 2.13 did.  But for me, AIR 3 has proven far, far more stable than 2.13 ever was.  But - the white noise was certainly a disappointment.  

In terms of SQ... I bought a microRendu when Sonore first released it because AIR 2.13 had become far too much of a headache.  At the time, I felt that the microRendu sounded a good bit better than AIR 2.13, but then, I was also extremely annoyed with AIR so there may have been some expectation (exceeded ;-) bias in favor of the microRendu.

AIR 3.0 seems far more similar in SQ to the microRendu.  In other words it sounds fabulous!   I feel that the microRendu may convey a tad bit more bass punch and definition - great on rock - but AIR 3 seems slightly more open and relaxed - most noticeable on well recorded jazz.  The difference is slight and not heard on every recording.  I'm thinking that it could very well be the difference between the Devialet USB input and ethernet input.  Or it may just be me - no blind testing here.   

Either way, AIR 3.0 beta sounds great.   Now if they can just completely eliminate the white noise, I'll be one happy Devialet owner.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
RE: Windows AIR 3 sound quality observations - by mdconnelly - 08-Aug-2016, 23:20