Poll: Planning to upgrade to Pro?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, am very likely to upgrade
23.63%
43 23.63%
No, not looking to upgrade
26.37%
48 26.37%
Waiting to get more information about SQ or other benefits
50.00%
91 50.00%
Total 182 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, who is planning to upgrade to a Pro?
(07-Nov-2016, 12:32)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(07-Nov-2016, 12:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Probably the improvement 'leap' in these things is somewhat dependent on the specific setup and the weakest part of the system relevant to the rest.

That said I've definitely experienced two sets of speakers becoming significantly better (or at least different) with upgraded amps, and source changes. I know speakers do sound very different to one another, but they can often perform better with better electronics/source attached.

From my perspective I think you're far better off having better electronics and source than speakers. I read this advice elsewhere only after buying quite revealing speakers attached to gear that probably wasn't quite good enough for them. The problem being you 'hear' things yo really don't want to hear - the speakers doing very little to help you out and soften the sound - that's not their job after all. I'm sure it's all very system/preference dependent though.

The Devialet 200 isn't good enough for the PMC fact 8?! According to Jeff Fritz the 120 is good enough to drive the Magico Q7 mk2, possibly one of the best speakers in the world... 

Guillaume

Yeah I read that too! Well, I can't argue with him but we're all different I suppose. I'm pretty treble sensitive and I don't think the PMCs play very nice with the treble at the end of a 200. I think Womaz experienced similar with his 23's. I don't think the 200/PMC combo is very flattering treble-wise - I always felt it wasn't as nice as the chord Hugo setup I had.

I've never heard any magico though. Maybe they're just so amazing nothing can make them sound bad? But if the 120 is so amazing, why does anyone upgrade beyond it for anything other than driving the most difficult speakers in the world? I wouldn't base any future buying decisions on Jeff Fritz articles anyway. Big Grin

I know PMCs are developed/voiced using big bryston mono amps (according to PMC) and they recommend lots of current despite them being sensitive. I don't understand things well enough for that to make sense, but there definitely seems to be a consensus about it where I've looked.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Messages In This Thread
RE: So, who is planning to upgrade to a - by Hifi_swlon - 07-Nov-2016, 13:01