Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
35 years after the CD was invented, its promise is realized!
Ah the joy of 16/44.1! Actually, I agree with a lot of what you have said, a great post! Plus these days there is much interest in 24 bit, MQA, DSD, DXD and whatever else, but if 16/44.1 is done properly, yes, it can appear to be faultless. I'd take a well recorded CD over a mediocre recorded DSD every day of the week. It is perhaps worth adding that I have some CD's where although I like the music, the recording quality is utterly dreadful! Another thought I have is I recall when CD's first emerged, they were to me very expensive. In fact, the prices of CD's seem to be much the same today as they were 25 years ago, making them a bargain now. One thing I do is that if I recall some music that I liked in the past that I do not have on CD, I will go hunting on the internet. Very often you can find a copy second hand for not much more than the cost of postage. All good fun. Having said all that, looking at your post over on another thread, it does look like there is a rather nice turntable lurking somewhere in your listening room?

Plus, there is another way of looking at all this. With computers, videos, TV's, cars, you name it, we have seen an incredible rate of progress, year on year on year. With music formats, as you say, 16/44.1 is now 35 years old. OK, there are better formats now, but what reigns supreme? The answer 256 kbps AAC and maybe 320 kbps on some 'premium' streaming services. Unfathomable! Although give it another ten years and I'm sure these formats will start to catch up with CD quality from the good old 1980's, helped to an extent this by the resurgence in vinyl. (?!)

Oh, and one last thing. I recall your early trepidation with respect to 'going Devialet'. Looks to me like you and your D400 are bonding nicely now?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: 35 years after the CD was invented, its promise is realized! - by Confused - 12-Aug-2016, 07:03