Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uptone LPS-1 goes on sale am today - California time.
(28-Sep-2016, 17:54)Borgen Wrote:
(27-Sep-2016, 20:27)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(27-Sep-2016, 14:23)mdconnelly Wrote: ....
A noteworthy point... AIR3 Beta has proven far more stable for me.  While I slightly prefer the uRendu over AIR3 in my system, it's close and if AIR3 Beta had been released prior to the uRendu (i.e. if AIR had worked!) , I doubt I would have bought the uRendu at all.   What has me on the fence is thinking about how much better my Devialet may sound with a better power supply on the uRendu.

Too many choices, too little information (so far), too little money.   Huh

Quite a lot of us in the same boat I suppose. The AIR3 beta doesn't work reliably for me, but to be honest I was happy with the SQ of AIR2 - if only it worked!  Anyway, won't go there, but since I've gone rendu I like it for a few reasons:
-if I change amplifier I'll still have a good source.
-it's more flexible and allows HQPlayer and connection to Linux server (should I ever venture down either)
-there's much less buffer lag than AIR.

The only real downsides are it's more clutter, cost, and can't be used directly for Mac playback (Qobuz or whatever).

So I might as well see if I can push the SQ a bit more (assuming it's not an urban myth)

Haven't heard a peep out of Paul Hynes since I paid my money - not even a confirmation - so after reading a whole host of stuff over at CA I am getting a bit nervous to be honest. Plus it was more expensive than the LPS-1! I do only have two sockets next to my hifi so it does save me having to use an extension lead which I'd need with the LPS-1 as I'd need the ifi too to power it. That said I did look at a power conditioner today.... Must stop myself or it will never end.....

I was fully committed to microRendu and had my mind set on LPS-1...until a week ago. I'd previously dismissed AIR due to instability and lag, but tried AIR3 on mac mini a week ago and was positively surprised. First, it seems to be stable, 2nd I do not have the same annoinng buffering lag and 3rd, sound quality seems to be very good. I really have not come around to do serious comparison between AIR3 and microRendu (with ifi SMPS), but my initial tests didn't put any of them miles apart from the other.

I'll do some more serious testing when I find time. It might be interesting to compare the mR w/ LPS-1 against AIR3, but as of now I am not sure if I will use money to test that out, given that AIR3 keeps up with the initial impression.

Anyway, just wanted to let Hifi_swlon know that in my setup the buffer lag is not an issue any longer with AIR3

After having done some 10+ hours of listening to AIR3 (on mac mini) and wired ethernet, I have concluded that AIR3 sounds better than microRendu in my system. Looks like I will be selling my microRendu then, quite happy to remove some cables and clutter from the setup.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uptone LPS-1 goes on sale am today - California time. - by Borgen - 04-Oct-2016, 18:02