Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pro - Non sound quality observations
(08-Nov-2016, 10:32)Confused Wrote:
(08-Nov-2016, 02:32)Music or sound Wrote: Confused is everything (except vinyl) routed through the Mutec3+ USB? Did you test your CD-player via that route?

No, the CD is connected direct to the Devialet.  Having said that, you have successfully predicated my thoughts and future plans.  The Mutec is a little limited in terms of connectivity.  It has a USB input, an optical Toslink input, and an S/PDIF input with a BNC type connector.  Currently my TV is running through the W4S reclocker via optical, to Mutec via optical.  The Blu-Ray player is a transport only (no DAC) and very unusually will output hi res PCM at 24/88.2 playing SACD, this is now fed S/PDIF to the W4S reclocker, then to the Mutec.  I could have used this connection route for the CD player, but my logic was that the CD player gets used less than the Blu-Ray player.  It is a case of CD's being ripped / streamed, and the only time the CD player gets used is maybe to play something recently purchased or maybe a CD loaned by someone.  However, the spare BNC S/PDIF input on the Mutec remains.  I need to double check this, but I'm thinking that all I need is a RCA to BNC S/PDIF cable (or adaptor), and the CD player can be connected direct to the Mutec.  This might be interesting, I recall Guillaume posting some information a while back about the superiority of CD players versus streaming.  So having the CD player via the Mutec would allow a direct head to head test with the microRendu.  This might be interesting!   In the short term I am not planning to A/B test anything, the amp is brand new, so I plan just to enjoy the thing for a few weeks whilst the electronics settle down, and more importantly, my ears and brain get used to it.  Lots of potential here for future fun and experimenting!

My Mutec came with a S/Pdif to BNC adapter in the box are you sure that yours didn't, might be worth a look.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Pro - Non sound quality observations - by NickB - 08-Nov-2016, 11:09