Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192?
Listening to a Double DSD file is an experience in itself. When you are listening to a 24/192 PCM file the whole presentation is two-dimensional .There is not much sense of depth, everything is just left-right-center. On a good 24/192 file you might be able to pick up subtle cues about the recording venue. This has happened to me on rare occasions once while listening to a particularly good recording (Tea for the tillerman- HDtracks 24/192). Every since I started listening to DSD files it became apparent that DSD has the capacity to project a holographic sense of musical presentation. Its like everything moves forward into the listening environment. The vocals and the instruments just hang in the air rather than being stuff on the wall behind the speakers. Its a more intimate and personal experience, just like a live performance. Sadly people who own a Devialet would never get to experience Double DSD, not even if they buy a really expensive external DAC. This is the greatest limitation of the Devialet Expert platform. Oh well you can always invest in proper pre/power/dac combo and get all the benefits but I believe that the allure of having a single shinny box is far too much for some to go that route. I sympathies with people who are looking towards Double DSD or Quad DSD, but just have to contend with the horrible 24/96 or lower PCM format. As an advice I would suggest you not to downsample the Double DSD if wont provide you with much benefits. Just stick to 64 DSD or 24/192 that should serve as an appetizer till you are ready to ditch the single box and more to a proper hi-fi. Apologies in advance of any hurt feelings.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Down sample DSD128 to DSD64 or convert to PCM 24/192? - by Devialetuser - 20-Feb-2017, 13:21