Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24-bit, macOS - Which player ?
I acquired a couple of 24-bit tracks recently. I decided it was a good time to try some of the players others have recommended. After some fiddling with configurations based on prior threads from this forum, I am happy to report results and need further help.

What I have found so far is 24-bit provides some improvement, but only marginally.

Also, each player seems to have its own sonic personality and I am not sure which is closer to the groundtruth. Perhalps none, and perhaps it also depends on the recording.

Here's what I have perceived so far:
  • iTunes + BitPerfect: BitPerfect crashes too often for this to be a reliable solution on Sierra. Also, random access to a track will desync Devialet Air and it will play garbage after this.
  • iTunes + MIDI Configurator: The sound seems natural in general (but how to tell?). The sound can be a little bit harsh sometimes.
  • Amarra: Sound closest to iTunes (and the ground truth?) as far as I can tell.
  • Audirvana+: The sound is gentler, more polished / esthetic that any of the others; but if I had to guess, I'd say it's been filtered, which reduces confidence.
As for the comparison between 16-bit/24-bit, I haven't noticed much difference on the couple of tracks that I have been going through. Except, maybe, that on louder /complex passages, the sound was a little bit harsher in 16-bit. These passages seems easier to listen to at higher volume in 24-bit, with less fatigue and less willingness to turn the volume down.

Is this similar to what other people have found?

Has anyone found a way to get closer to the groundtruth? which is, after all, for us Pro-owners, what we're after.

Messages In This Thread
24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 17-Dec-2016, 16:01
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by Xander - 17-Dec-2016, 17:11
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 18-Dec-2016, 21:34
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 18-Dec-2016, 21:37
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by yabaVR - 17-Dec-2016, 18:13
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by baddog - 18-Dec-2016, 03:07
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by arcam - 18-Dec-2016, 21:29
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by f1eng - 18-Dec-2016, 13:50
RE: 24-bit, macOS - Which player ? - by baddog - 18-Dec-2016, 21:40