Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono Settings for MC Merlo cartridge
what does load capacitance do and in how far does it impact the sound or cartridge? ->

Load capacitance makes little difference to MC cartridges - Try changing it and see if you notice a difference.

why do you say to put it to 0 whereas the official manufacturer specifies a range of 100-500pF? ->

Because the tonearm cable has some capacitance (usually more than 100pF) and any load capacitance is added to this.

1. What is uVRMS? -> micro Volts RMS - this is the output voltage of your cartridge 0.5mV = 500uV
2. What impact does uVRMS have on sound and cartridge? -> it determines the gain for the phono input, too high gain on the phono stage (i.e lower uVRMS value) will cause the ADC to clip (Bad!), too low and you'll lose signal to noise ratio (not so bad as you have 24bit dynamic range to play with, Hence start at around the stated output for the cartridge + a bit to ensure you don't clip (i.e. 550-600uV)
3. What differences can I expect when choosing a value between 0 - 5000uVRMS? -> (see above) ~0 = loud and distorted, 5000 = very quiet!

Cheers

Dave

Messages In This Thread
RE: Phono Settings for MC Merlo cartridge - by daved0x01 - 21-Mar-2017, 16:12