Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Users of the AES/EBU input and cables
I'm no expert on this subject but that seems a bit of a disappointing reply from Devialet.

Without doubt, they initially said that RCA to AES/EBU was the preferred Master/Companion connection (over RCA/RCA); though latterly this appears to have been compromised by them shipping an RCA/RCA cable with 400s and 800s.

So the answer should be either "there is no sonic compromise connecting a standard RCA output to a standard AES/EBU input in the digital domain" or "there would be a sonic compromise with such a connection but the appropriate correcting circuitry is triggered by the configurator when you specify an RCA to AES/EBU connection" or "you should only use RCA to RCA for optimum sound quality".

But if, as is inferred, the AES/EBU input is strictly 110 ohms are all times (and presumably the RCA output is strictly 75 ohms at all times) then, at least in relation to a short cable length of 0.5m or so, my understanding is that it does not matter whether the cable is 75 ohms or 110 ohms - because any compromises will be just the same.

If the source and destination impedances are unmatched, some of the energy being transferred from source to destination is reflected back from the destination (or wherever there is an impedance mismatch in the connecting circuit (cable), whether that connecting circuitry (cable) is 75 ohms or 110 ohms) towards the source. Presumably such reflections could cause echoes, or cause signals at certain frequencies to be reduced through cancellation.

So, Mike, my understanding is that it makes no difference whether you use 75 ohm or 110 ohm cable - but my understanding now is that I do not know whether the initial recommended connection is 100% ok or is compromised!

What us slightly eccentric folk need to know is whether it is worth spending €260 on a bit of audioprana cable or whether we would be better buying 20 or 30 more CDs.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England

Messages In This Thread
RE: Users of the AES/EBU input and cables - by IanG-UK - 22-Nov-2014, 14:35