Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HT Pass-through: do I need to change the volume?
I'm sure I'm just over-thinking this but here goes:

I recently built a 7.2.4 Atmos theater system.  My AVR is a Pioneer Elite LX901, which pre-outs to dual-mono Devialet D Premiers which drive my main Left and Right speakers, allowing me to use the Devialets for the theater and two-channel audio as well.  I've configured the Devialets to function on the pass-through input function.  My pass-through volume setting in the configurator is set to the default (-15 db).  Notably, I also set my default source input on turning on the Devialets to be this input (ie. should default to pass-through mode).

Okay, so when I power on the Devialets, they do NOT default to pass-through input but instead default to phono.  No big deal, I can tab the source button.  But the units also default to the standard starting volume of -40 db, and not -15.

I ran the audio correction program on the Pioneer and it eq'd the room.  Notably it adjusted my left and right speakers DOWN in volume despite the "-40 db" setting, probably because they are seeing 500 watts each instead of 80 watts each and therefore are louder.

My question is:  is this functioning as intended?  Should I be manually changing my Devialet volume to -15 db as prescribed and re-doing the room eq?  Is it in any way detrimental to leave these units running at -40 db if the Pioneer microphone says the room is running "flat" speakers?  Or, should I just say "it's working, don't mess with it" and leave things as they are?

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
HT Pass-through: do I need to change the volume? - by Zedeff - 22-Jan-2019, 20:23