Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stand-alone/self-hosted configuration
With my Cassandra head on a few days ago, I started wondering what might happen if for some reason Devialet ceased to be.

I should stress that I had no particular reason to start thinking along those lines!

We have become used to fairly regular firmware updates bringing new functionality. If those stopped, we'd still have amplifiers than were more capable than on the day we bought them. So lack of further updates would not be a problem.

However, at the moment the only way we can change the configuration of these amplifiers is by using the configurator hosted on Devialet's web site. If that were no longer available, it would be a real problem.

So I think it is very important for Devialet to provide a means for us to configure the amplifiers without needing to access any infrastructure they provide. I can think of a few options:

1. Devialet build a web server into the amplifiers so that they can run the existing configurator (or something similar) and save directly to the installed SD card
  2. Devialet host the existing web-based configurator on a third-party site
  3. Devialet develop a configurator that can be downloaded and run on the user's desktop machine
  4. Devialet specify the format of the configuration file and the effect of each parameter so that third-party (open source?) configurators can be developed
I'm sure there are more options that I haven't thought of.

What do you think?

I'm going to send a support request to Devialet to ask them to consider this...and will add their reply here.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Stand-alone/self-hosted configuration - by thumb5 - 21-Dec-2014, 12:35