Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very Poor Ethernet Performance
Bug 
I'm having difficulty playing anything through my Expert Pro via Ethernet.  For the past 2-3 months this has been an intermittent problem which I put down to an issue with my network, now I fear the problem may be with my Expert Pro.  My system comprises a Windows 10 Desktop (AMD Ryzen2 2600; 16GB Ram) which runs Roon as a core.  The setup is:  PC > Router > Ethernet Switch > Expert 220 Pro.  The system used to work fine then it started becoming less reliable.  This week I have struggled to play anything.  I finally found time to investigate what was going on, and spent more hours on this over the past couple of days than I would have hoped for.

I've been through the usual thing of powering everything on/off; reloading, formatting and trying different configurations with the SD card; swapping out ethernet cables (I have a network cable tester too); changing switches and trying a fixed ip address.  The closest I came to getting it working was with a fixed IP address, which would give one or two seconds of music then stop.  On checking the Devialet Air settings I could watch as it cycled through 'Not Available" to 'connected' every 3-4 seconds.  That cycling went on for ages, and would still be happening if I didn't switch off.  Pinging the Devialet with fixed address demonstrated the problem: I never once got 4 packets through, it always timed out with one or two packets sent/received and the remaining packets lost.  I should add I tried pretty much the same combinations above using Roon with and without Devialet AIR.

I have an old Raspberry Pi 3 and I set that up using Ropieee with USB over the exact same network (cables, switches, router etc.).  Everything worked straight out of the box, and has been solid for the past few hours.  I have a bunch of DSF files and they are playing away quite the thing as I type this.  Elsewhere on my network I have other equipment such as a Samsung HD TV an Oppo Blu Ray player and a printer, plus the usual plethora of wifi stuff.  They all see the network and work fine.  (I also have a networked HIKVison security camera system???)

I don't know what to make of this.  In my mind I believe the problem lies with my Expert Pro, but I really don't know enough about networking to feel confident I have tried everything I should have?  If I can play music from Roon over my wired network to a Raspberry Pi3 > USB setup, but the same wired setup won't allow me to do so to my Expert Pro does that point to a problem with my Expert Pro?

I want to use Roon Ready over ethernet, but I guess I would compromise if I had to.  However, now it is niggling me that I might have a hardware problem or such like with my Expert Pro.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bob

Messages In This Thread
Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by arjayh - 31-Aug-2019, 01:45
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by Pim - 31-Aug-2019, 07:51
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by arjayh - 01-Sep-2019, 07:24
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by petrik - 31-Aug-2019, 08:07
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by arjayh - 01-Sep-2019, 07:46
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by thumb5 - 31-Aug-2019, 09:39
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by arjayh - 01-Sep-2019, 07:39
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by arjayh - 04-Sep-2019, 13:32
RE: Very Poor Ethernet Performance - by arjayh - 04-Sep-2019, 13:35