Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Get a separate phono stage. You'll be glad you did!
(30-Oct-2019, 07:01)Marietto Wrote:
(30-Oct-2019, 04:12)Dev_Steve Wrote:
(29-Oct-2019, 02:29)ssfas Wrote: I had an Art Audio reference phono stage before Devialet, and one reason for getting a 250 Pro was that I can use two tonearms. I have stereo and mono. I play lots of records and find the Devialet phono stage absolutely fine. I use an Origin Live Illustrious and Koetsu Urushi, plus Jelco and 2M Mono, on a Clarity Dual turntable.
You could be getting better results than I did as it looks like the Urushi has twice the voltage of my Windfeld. It's awesome that it's working for you though. I think people's results with the Devialet are largely dependent on their cartridge choice.

Speak wisely

Just replaced the Koetsu Urushi with an Origin Live Aladdin Mk2, which is a SoundSmith Zephyr Mk3 in disguise. High output moving iron design.

Purchased after I decided on the Zephyr Mk3, called Mark Baker at Origin Live and he told me about it. I use an Origin Live Illustrious Mk3 tonearm and the Zephyr is the only cartridge he puts his name on, and uses it at shows with his very high end arms. Good enough for me.

The new cart is darker than the Koetsu and has amazing separation. Listening to a low A on baritone sax made me jump out of my chair. Plenty of detail, perhaps not quite as much as the Koetsu, not sure. The capacitance is set at 100 and changing that may affect the high end.
The cart is well suited to acoustic jazz and the lower end of the audible spectrum.
Think I'm going to have to turn SAM down a notch or two.

The cart features a new type of aluminium alloy cantilever, which is also used in the low output Paua Mk2 cart that is 3x the price.
It also has non-conductive separators that can also be used for azimuth adjustment.
I also fitted an Origin Live Enabler, that provides electrical isolation and damping.
I like the idea that the cantilever is a fixed price $300 replacement.

Loving the result.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Get a separate phono stage. You'll be glad you did! - by ssfas - 23-Nov-2019, 11:44