Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweet Room - Ideas for alternative uses other than room correction
Devialet describe Sweet Room as a "room correction module for Expert", which is of course the obvious use for this feature.

I have been thinking that there are other ways Sweet Room could be used.

As an example, easily the largest variable and issue with my system is not the room, but the vast difference between the quality of the mix and mastering of the music I listen too.  (this may of course say something about my terrible taste in music, but I bought a decent system to listen to the music I like, not music that happens to be perfectly mastered)

Flicking from one track to the next, the system can go from sounding rich and powerful, to thin, tinny and disappointing.  There is nothing wrong with the system as such, it is just the fundamental difference between the mastering of the tracks.  I am sure many will recognise this as a phenomena often related to as "80's CDs syndrome" and similar.

So rather than correcting for the room, why not make something that will "correct" the mastering.

As t happens, this is something I have done myself for a long while.  As an example, iTunes has a 10 band graphic equaliser.  So I would have an equalisation set up, which you could think of as a 80's CD compensation device.  Hit one of those anaemic thin sounding 80's CD, everything sound a little disappointing, add a touch of EQ, and the improvement can be absolutely remarkable.  Later, I have come up with similar EQ's tha run with Roon's parametric equaliser.

I think the EQ you would need for this would vary between systems and to a degree be a matter of taste, but as a rough guide I would say you need a cut of about -3dB in the 2kHz range, with maybe a slight dip at 1kHz or 4kHz, then combine this with a bit of mid-bass boost, maybe 3dB at about 60Hz or so.

I guess that to find your own perfect "80's CD compensator" it would make sense to experiment with something that would allow you to listen to "real time" adjustments, so again something like the iTunes 10 band EQ or Roon's more sophisticated parametric EQ offering.  Then once you have found something that works for your system and ears, you could set up something equivalent in Sweet Room.

Variations on the above theme could include something equivalent to the old 70's "Loudness Button", which compensates to the Fletcher Munson curve effect for low level listening.  (if you like listening at low level)  Or you could have some kind of EQ that had the effect of adding a touch of "warmth", allowing you to switch between the fully transparent Devialet (clinical) sound to something more valve like.

A while ago someone posted a Roon parametric EQ for a "warmer sound", see below for reference.

The link below is a useful reference, as it give a simple correlation to EQ tweaks and what this might do to the sound.

https://cheatography.com/fredv/cheat-sheets/eq-tips/

So a couple of ideas from myself.  Hopefully others can come up with some similar ideas or tips.

Also, in time it would be good if people could share any successful Sweet Room configurations that they develop.  This has the potential to turn into a useful resource.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
Sweet Room - Ideas for alternative uses other than room correction - by Confused - 18-Oct-2020, 13:16