Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro)
@howardrodman - You are correct, the "Non Pro" Expert does not support AirPlay, and there is little to suggest it ever will have this functionality.

This should not be a huge problem though, because Devialet AIR streaming, which your "Non-Pro" Expert does support either by hard wired Ethernet or by WiFi, is technically superior to AirPlay.

Roon works well with the Expert. Roon has Devialet AIR built in. In fact, you do not even need a Nucleus, you could run Roon core on your Mac, and then either use hard wired Ethernet or WiFi, and your Mac should stream to the Devialet without issue. Of course, a Roon Nucleus would also work, and might afford some advantages. If nothing else, it is a dedicated item for audio and takes the Mac out of the chain. This might be more convenient for you.

Streaming via Devialet AIR will allow you to stream anything up to 24/192. DSD64 works also, but is not officially supported by Devialet.

Another factor is sound quality. Opinions vary on this one, but I much preferred the sound quality of my Expert via Devialet AIR in comparison to USB.

In theory, you should not even need Roon. You could load the Devialet AIR app onto your Mac and it than acts like a virtual soundcard streaming to your Devialet. There have been reports from some of the Mac users on this forum that there is an issue with the Devialet app and the latest Mac OS. It is very disappointing that Devialet have not resolved this issue. (I presume this issue is still unresolved? I do not use a Mac for audio, maybe other can advise re this point)

Anyway, the above issue is why Roon is your friend here, by having the Devialet AIR driver built in. Roon has a 14 day free trial, so at least you can try before you buy and see if you like it and if it works for you.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
RE: aspiring user - rookie questions for streaming on a Expert (non Pro) - by Confused - 17-Apr-2021, 10:00