Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5 year Phantom I lifespan?
In my view a five year life span for any modern electronic device (and many other things) is completely unacceptable.

Plus, it is interesting to looks at the new EU "right to repair" legislation that is designed to combat "planned obsolescence". See link:

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/01/eu-l...o-10-years

As an aside, I have a bit of a habit of keeping old kit, and somehow finding a new use for it.

I have a late 1980's Kenwood KA-5010 amp. This sits at the back of a large desk area that I have and powers both desktop speakers and headphones. It works perfectly, and has never been repaired or serviced. Perhaps surprisingly, it still sounds reasonably good. I guess that after 30 years of service it no longer sounds perhaps as good as it once did, but I actually enjoying using it to see just how long it will keep going.

I also have 2 Arcam Alpha 10 amps and one Alpha 10P. There is a bit of a story to these, but one of the Alpha 10's and the 10P were very early examples that I received direct from the factory in 1998. Both have failed, both have gone back to Arcam for a repair and service. At one time these were my main hifi amps, they now power center and rear speakers in a surround system. (and one is also used to power two LS50 in stereo for normal TV use) So that is 23 years of regular service, with one trip back to the factory. Next time they go wrong I plan to get something a little better, but I'll keep using them whilst they keep going.

Maybe one day I will have a 1000 Pro powering my TV speakers, but that will depend on how long both the amps and myself last. I suspect that I have a fair chance of outliving the 1000 Pro, but I am not so sure about the Kenwood. (although the input selector knob is a little loose, much like parts of myself, so it might end up being a dead heat)

Thinking about it, I have been driving the same car for 11 years now, and it was just under two years old when I bought it. Nothing has cracked on the car yet, and certainly the in car stereo works fine, plus this has an entire car around it which works fine also.

Very poor Devialet, must try a little harder.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

Messages In This Thread
5 year Phantom I lifespan? - by Jon - 09-Jul-2021, 18:18
RE: 5 year Phantom I lifespan? - by ragwo - 09-Jul-2021, 19:09
RE: 5 year Phantom I lifespan? - by Avos - 10-Jul-2021, 15:29
RE: 5 year Phantom I lifespan? - by Confused - 11-Jul-2021, 11:33