Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toslink vs USB
I recently traded a power cable for a Lifatec Premium Silflex Glass Cable. Presumably one of the best toslink cables according to online reviews.
Around 120 euros. This seems quite a bit of money for a light carrier, but it's a low cost compared to most usual tweaks.
The Lifatec cable is about 4 times bigger in diameter than a stock toslink but is very flexible and feels really great, light and well made.

System 1:
——————
My primary source is a Mac mini (mid 2010).
Stock cable to Intona USB Galvanic Isolator (250 euro) + Oyaide Continental S5 (300 euros) to the Devialet.

System 2:
——————
A 2nd mac mini (2014) I use mainly for development.
Lifatec toslink to the Devialet.

The Test
——————
Made the same playlist on both macs, that included 3 albums by the Josephine Davies Sax Trio
Kind of angular wooden acoustic sounds, lots of cymbal work, kicks, snares etc., extensive upright bass solos, and of course the sax.
Hit play on both macs and kept switching sources every 2/3 minutes. Same volume.

Impressions
——————
My first impression was that both sources played identical.
I would find it difficult to remember any differences in the sound had I played via USB on one day, and on Toslink the next.

Upon continuous listening, several sessions maybe 30 minutes each, my preference started slowly shifting towards the toslink connection.
A slightly larger, wider sound, more upfront and a little better instrument separation and articulation. It also sounded a little louder via toslink (maybe about 4 to 5 db louder).

Soundstage, textures, rhythm, slam, and anything else that one may observe during such test were identical on both systems.

I have arrived at my USB output setup (i.e. Intona Isolator + top of the range Oyaide Cable) after many alterations and trials of various USB line cleaners and cables, but it currently looks like the simpler Lifatek Toslink setup will replace it.

There are a few differences in the Mac minis I used, that may have had some impact.
System 1 has all music stored on an external 2TB SSD, while system 2 played off the hard disc (i.e. no added bus Noise), plus system 2 runs with 16GB of Ram instead of 8.
System 1 is connected to the LAN via PowerLink ethernet cable, while system 1 via WiFi.
But I would assume the effects there would be negligible.
Maybe I will swap cables and try again.

Happy new Year!
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub

Messages In This Thread
Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 01-Jan-2022, 21:24
RE: Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 01-Jan-2022, 22:56
RE: Toslink vs USB - by hardcore - 02-Jan-2022, 09:29
RE: Toslink vs USB - by renan - 06-Jan-2022, 22:45
RE: Toslink vs USB - by Pim - 07-Jan-2022, 07:15
RE: Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 10-Jan-2022, 23:47
RE: Toslink vs USB - by yanc - 31-Jan-2022, 10:58
RE: Toslink vs USB - by zdenes - 17-Apr-2022, 01:40
RE: Toslink vs USB - by CongoFather - 04-May-2022, 10:51