Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surround Sound vs Dolby Atmos vs Spatial Audio
(01-Apr-2022, 10:48)Shulaf Wrote:
(01-Apr-2022, 10:41)struts Wrote:
(01-Apr-2022, 09:41)struts Wrote: I think this makes sense.  There is a difference in the use cases we are describing which I suspect explains the difference.

In the scenario I describe the Apple TV is connected to the speakers so the Apple TV is performing the Atmos decoding, i.e. splitting the sound into the number and type of channels available in the room as declared in the Home app (currently 1 or 2).

In your scenario your Denon AVR is performing the Atmos decoding so the Apple TV is simply passing though the Atmos signal, essentially protocol converting it from Airplay 2 to HDMI, not decoding it.

I suspect that the limited horsepower of the Apple TV confines its use as a decoder to fairly trivial cases like 1.0.0 and 2.0.0, whereas passing through a signal requires much less horsepower and so a full Atmos signal can be supported.

So, back to my second post:
  • Dione can render Dolby Atmos content from an Apple TV 4K over HDMI but not over Airplay 2.

..should probably read "Dione can render Dolby Atmos content from an Apple TV 4K when the two are connected via HDMI but not via Airplay 2."

This all makes me realise that the Dione probably can play Atmos content via Airplay 2 since it is acting as both the decoder and the renderer (speakers).  

@Shulaf.  Are you able to confirm this?  Are you able to stream Atmos content directly to the Dione via Airplay 2 and confirm that it is being rendered as 5.1.2 Atmos?

Confirmed it works just tested, I used the Dolby testing tracks from Apple Music.

https://music.apple.com/nl/album/functio...1608035851

Every channel is mapped correctly to the speaker

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Are you sure ? Here is what the Dione white paper says:
"It is important to note that given the high bandwidth of object-based audio format, it is
necessary to use the HDMI input to enjoy Dolby Atmos content."
If it is Atmos, then it says so on the Devialet App under the volume control for the Dione. If it says LPCM it is not Atmos. I have never had Atmos on the Devialet app when playing through Airplay 2  Atmos Apple music files.
2 phantom Gold
2 phantom Reactor
Dione soundbar
Spotify connect 
Apple music
Audirvana 3.5.44 for Mac

Messages In This Thread
RE: Surround Sound vs Dolby Atmos vs Spatial Audio - by eniriop - 15-Sep-2023, 00:37