Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
PMC Twenty 26 + D200
(24-Mar-2015, 02:13)MusicLover Wrote: Evening all,

As an extremely happy Olympica II owner I thought I may be able to help a bit here.

First, I have heard my almost exact setup at two other dealers, including the Olympica III, and I was as well very mildly impressed. Even though the Olympicas are not too fuzzy about placement, to get quality from them they still demand careful attention. 
At one of the dealers the room was way too absorbent/dead, taking most of the life away from music, and I thought the listening position/speaker separation relationship was far from ideal. At the other one, it was a bit the opposite, big glass wall behind and on one side of the speakers, and they were sitting way too close to it, so almost no soundstage depth. I think proper placement is an aspect some dealers judge too lightly.

No upgrade, cable, etc, has yielded greater improvement to me than correct speaker positioning. When properly placed, the sound image just snaps right into place (toe in and rake are critical with them) and the Olympicas are well known for their coherence and realistic/lively soundstage.

Ultimately, personal taste will be the deciding factor, as it should be. But if you appreciate a sonic signature that only very slightly leans towards the warm side of tonal balance (the Olympicas are quite a departure from the traditional SF designs) and a soundstage quality rarely found in less than Raidho or Wilson Audio level, then you will appreciate the Olympicas.

To sum up, although I´ve owned SF in the past, this is a speaker I chose based on the view of my other half, who has formal music education and has trained/trains with some of the best in her field.

Hope I have been of some help. Time for bed Smile

Cheers,

ML

That is excellent , thank you very much. my room is fairly small at 14ft x 23ft and I am a little concerned that a larger floorstander could be too much. Great post
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Messages In This Thread
PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by stijjgv - 24-Feb-2015, 18:41
RE: PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by wiresandmore - 05-Mar-2015, 10:33
RE: PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by Womaz - 05-Mar-2015, 18:09
RE: PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by Damon - 05-Mar-2015, 18:39
RE: PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by Womaz - 22-Mar-2015, 15:32
RE: PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by wiresandmore - 24-Mar-2015, 00:52
A bit about the Olympicas... - by MusicLover - 24-Mar-2015, 02:13
RE: PMC Twenty 26 + D200 - by Womaz - 24-Mar-2015, 09:04