Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expert 250 - whither next?
Hi
Wondering if there are any upgrades worth thinking about in the next 6 months.
I bought my 250 in Jan 2015 with a pair of Atom GT SE on some very substantial stands.
Sources are Mac mini with Audirvana Studio and a Rega P6

I had some connectivity issues initially on AIR so used a Moon Mind via AES/EBU for a while then when Air was fixed moved to that. The Mac had to be replaced with an M1 version 2 years ago so moved to USB and added a pair of REL subwoofers.
It's in a large downstairs room (8m x 6m) as we had the whole ground floor open planned when we bought the house. no curtains, oak floor over concrete screed. Don't play loud as a child sleeping upstairs in the evening.

Generally 9 years on very happy with the set up (it replaced a NAIM DAC/NAC252/NAP300 multi box set up), but some minor bug bears:
-Since moving to the new house the system feels a little 'lost' hard to describe really as its not lacking in volume but it doesn't seem to wow like it used to.
-The Mac mini/audirvana set up forever needs checking into the screen share to see exactly what pup up, request etc is stopping it responding to the Audirvana iPad app.
-The Devialet often has to be restarted to get it to play what is playing on the Mac.

Minor stuff I know but given it will be in its 10th year next year I thought it would be asking what obvious upgrades would be an option? We play all stuff - rock for me, classical for my wife, jazz for us both. Not that keen on a wholesale change as it's not really a financial priority to that extent. Just minor tweaks.
Tx
Brendan
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 NPX300 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire Acrylic Reference rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to AT VML540ML fine line stylus and Vertere Phono-1

Messages In This Thread
Expert 250 - whither next? - by DelaneyB - 30-Sep-2023, 17:04
RE: Expert 250 - whither next? - by David A - 30-Sep-2023, 21:09
RE: Expert 250 - whither next? - by DelaneyB - 01-Oct-2023, 11:09
RE: Expert 250 - whither next? - by DelaneyB - 02-Oct-2023, 17:37