Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Still suggest upgrading?
Electronic room correction is a marketing misnomer as the amp is connected not to the room but to the loudspeaker no matter what algorithm is used. Standing waves yield a 3 dimensional pattern of nulls and peaks at varying frequencies. Many of the different "room correction" implementations used many different measurement locations to give a compromise correction for not only a single listening position. As low frequencies have larger wavelength the pattern of nulls and peaks varies less over short distances so it is easier that the correction is acceptable at more than a single position but otherwise the correction for one location is making the acoustics at other positions worse. One issue is that it is easy to reduce speaker output at a peak but trying to compensate for a null by increasing amplitude leads only to distortions and potential damage of the voice coil but it does not avoid the cancelation of a that sound wave by the reflected sound wave as this is independent of amplitude.

I agree that room dimensions and acoustic room treatment are the essential as speaker and listener position and REW room simulation is a good tool. Its predictions are quite consistent with my room measurements. The room itself is the primary part of good sound, more important than the equipment and sometimes also more expensive.

I completely like the idea of speaker correction both in amplitude and phase and a long time ago Devialet said there are working on that past SAM which is limited to low frequencies. As SAM is designed for specific commercial speaker it is useless for my DIY speakers. Is anyhow Devialet adding new SAM profiles for new commercial speakers?

I am somewhat worried that longterm access to the configurator will be abandoned by Devialet as I am often tinkering with my loudspeaker design. Before the introduction of the Premier I used several class A and D amps and I was not too satisfied with the mostly Hypex derived designs but these made a lot of progress (including Purifi). The design idea of combining Cass A voltage amplification with symmetric class D (ADH) and avoiding output filters is pretty unique but at least spec wise more recent amp design have better measurements than Devialet but sound wise I am still quite happy with what I got (D250 Pro). As I am using using the digital cross-over function there are not too many newer alternatives. I can only think of Lyngdorf and Trinnov.

Messages In This Thread
Still suggest upgrading? - by mmorrison55 - 02-Jan-2024, 06:48
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by Gerronwithit - 02-Jan-2024, 12:17
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by Finn - 02-Jan-2024, 14:19
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by Vivialet - 02-Jan-2024, 14:47
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by markush - 02-Jan-2024, 20:06
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by mmorrison55 - 02-Jan-2024, 22:16
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by David A - 02-Jan-2024, 22:01
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by mmorrison55 - 02-Jan-2024, 22:30
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by David A - 03-Jan-2024, 08:31
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by mmorrison55 - 03-Jan-2024, 15:52
RE: Still suggest upgrading? - by kerkhoffd - 04-Jan-2024, 18:21