Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering Devialet 220: phono and bass questions
Hello all!

I've currently got a Lavardin IT, which I bought to replace some valve amps about 14 years ago. I have recently upgraded my Martin Logan Ascents to ESL-Xs, and use them with a REL Studio mk1 sub.

Having played in an orchestra for many years and enjoying live music, I look for a natural sound, not too bright, and I want to hear the double basses and bass drums in orchestras and the deep bass which is integral to modern music.

I've read Devialet reviews and feel a 220 might be a good upgrade. However, to make most sense I would love to replace my phono amp and eliminate my REL. So a couple of questions, please:

1. My cartridge is Hana ML and the phono amp is Cyrus Phono Signature with ESX-R2. What are your views on whether the 220's phono stage is as good as or better than the Cyrus? Has anyone made that move?

2. With SAM, could I remove the need for the REL? That is, can I configure it to extend the frequency response of the ESL-Xs down to c.20Hz while retaining the dynamics of the bass? I don't think I can hear all the way down now so maybe 20Hz is not essential, but I don't want to be stuck with a -3dB point of 41Hz as they are "naturally". My wife would love to get rid of the huge heavy box sitting in the lounge! Has anyone got experience of Devialet with ESL-Xs?

Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Peter
Peter Ward
Warwick, UK

Messages In This Thread
Considering Devialet 220: phono and bass questions - by Peter Ward - 29-Mar-2024, 10:59