Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(12-Oct-2014, 22:11)Confused Wrote: I asked Thierry about this at the Guilford Audio event today. He confirmed that Devialet continue to work on a solution, although he did make the point about the shear variety of computer configurations that exist, particularly with PC's. He seemed to suggest that the issue with WASAPI streaming very gradually going out of sync. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what this actually means or implies!

I think Thierry is contradicting himself here: if the issue is inherent with WASAPI (gradually going out of sync), it should have little to do with computer configurations.
Also, this would only explain the problems observed with long listening sessions. How about putting Windows to sleep without quiting the player/AIR? We know this also causes issues. And what about changing AIR's settings and not restarting it. I think we also observed that this is likely to cause the white noise.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II
(14-Oct-2014, 16:15)AlexS Wrote:
(12-Oct-2014, 22:11)Confused Wrote: I asked Thierry about this at the Guilford Audio event today. He confirmed that Devialet continue to work on a solution, although he did make the point about the shear variety of computer configurations that exist, particularly with PC's. He seemed to suggest that the issue with WASAPI streaming very gradually going out of sync. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure what this actually means or implies!

I think Thierry is contradicting himself here: if the issue is inherent with WASAPI (gradually going out of sync), it should have little to do with computer configurations.
Also, this would only explain the problems observed with long listening sessions. How about putting Windows to sleep without quiting the player/AIR? We know this also causes issues. And what about changing AIR's settings and not restarting it. I think we also observed that this is likely to cause the white noise.

Perhaps AIR was developed to run with OSX/iTunes and Windows was an after-thought...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
This just popped into my mind; did you "white noise sufferers" try AIR with the PCIe power saving features disabled? I've always have these disabled.

See for a how to: http://www.adnaco.com/doc/How-To-Disable...In-Win.pdf
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
According to Roger from Devialet, they now have a BETA version of AIR with the attempt at the fix. He suggested I test it, which I will, but I can't recreate the white noise at will. If you can, feel free to get in touch with Devialet and request the BETA version for testing.
(23-Oct-2014, 15:05)AlexS Wrote: According to Roger from Devialet, they now have a BETA version of AIR with the attempt at the fix. He suggested I test it, which I will, but I can't recreate the white noise at will. If you can, feel free to get in touch with Devialet and request the BETA version for testing.

Great news. Do you have his direct email address for us to contact him?
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(23-Oct-2014, 15:05)AlexS Wrote: According to Roger from Devialet, they now have a BETA version of AIR with the attempt at the fix.

Sounds like good news. Did Roger offer any clues as to what was causing the problem and how they've fixed it?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(23-Oct-2014, 15:05)AlexS Wrote: According to Roger from Devialet, they now have a BETA version of AIR with the attempt at the fix. He suggested I test it, which I will, but I can't recreate the white noise at will. If you can, feel free to get in touch with Devialet and request the BETA version for testing.

Well I can recreate the dreaded white noise syndrome with almost atomic precision. I must admit I'm slightly reluctant to take on something that may add to my many recent PC related woes, however, I have an open query with Roger, I think I'll do the right thing and give it a go.
(23-Oct-2014, 21:34)thumb5 Wrote: Sounds like good news. Did Roger offer any clues as to what was causing the problem and how they've fixed it?

Unfortunately, he did not, even though I'd explicitly asked for that information.

(23-Oct-2014, 22:25)Confused Wrote: Well I can recreate the dreaded white noise syndrome with almost atomic precision.

Perhaps, with this BETA version you won't be able to, any more? Wink
It should be easy enough to revert back, in case it malfunctions.
I checked with Roger at Devialet support today.

"With the new version of Devialet AIR for Windows, we did enhance stability of the software. The driver was updated as long as core framework. From the tests we made, we did not reproduce the white noise issue.

This being said, those were shot term tests as we do not possess all parameters of each customer installation.

We are waiting for customers' feedback in order to be sure it does solve or reduce this white noise issue.
"

So now it is up to us to test is seems... I will install 2.1.3 this evening and try. Any one else tried the new version? Some of you have had access to the beta version. Anything to report?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(28-Oct-2014, 13:16)ogs Wrote: So now it is up to us to test is seems... I will install 2.1.3 this evening and try. Any one else tried the new version? Some of you have had access to the beta version. Anything to report?

I've been testing it for 2 days. So far so good. However, I'm currently using it conservatively: that is, in the same way I used 2.1.2 to AVOID white noise (e.g. making sure I always quit the player and AIR, before putting Windows to sleep). I'll keep on testing in this conservative mode for a couple more days, and will then switch to more extreme scenarios (1. putting AIR/player to sleep, 2. pausing the track for about 10 mins, before resuming).
Let me know if you can't get the BETA version from Devialet. I can attach mine to this thread.

Oh, I've just realized that they acutally released version 2.1.3 I'll install that instead of using the BETA version.