Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
Congratulations. Continue observing and keep us posted.
We know this much: the problem is configuration specific. So, I can well believe that Windows updates, or new software can mask, or virtually eliminate the problem, because of memory allocation changes (that is, the placement of AIR in RAM). For instance, my switching from Foobar2000 to JRiver did reduce white noise occurrences for me (and yet I have no data to support the theory that JRiver is more immune to this problem than Foobar - installing and using JRiver probably just changed RAM's topology, so to speak).
Two other considerations:
1) After all, I can't conclude with certainty that AIR is faulty: perhaps, the fault lies with other Windows processes violating memory boundaries.
2) I use the BETA version of AIR, which was released for testing to several "white noise martyrs". Although I did experience white noise once, with this version, it was in conjunction with running a certain program, which had consistently caused the problem before. Once I took care never to open that program, before starting JRiver and Air, I've not experienced the white noise ever since (about two months noise-free). It's still too early to tell, but it's possible Devialet made some progress with this BETA version. @Confused observed the same, when he heavily tested it.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by AlexS - 10-Apr-2015, 15:25
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58