Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
I have spent much time this weekend in my unpaid job as a Devialet beta tester, running AIR 2.1.4beta4. Some interesting results I think.

With JRiver WASAPI I could not get white noise. This morning I managed a four hour 100% clean run with 24bit material, no white noise, no drop outs, nothing. This contrasts slightly to yesterdays running of JRiver WASAPI when there were two occasions when the music stopped and AIR shut down, no white noise though, and I did get many hours of running between these "shut down" incidents.

Today I tried reinstating the PC's power saver mode, which shut the screen down after a defined period with keyboard or mouse use. Very consistent results, when the screen shuts down, the music stops, AIR shuts down, no white noise.

After a grand total of what must be about 15 hours running over he weekend white noise free, I deliberately tried what I know to be very bad PC settings for white noise, that is running iTunes 16/44.1 with the sound card GIU settings at 24/192. This resulted in white noise after about 15 minutes. With the PC's power save screensaver disabled, soundcard GUI on 16/44.1, I have been running white noise and drop out free for about one and a half hours, so far.....

I have managed to grab a few task manager processes screen shots of these events and will be reporting this all back to Devialet.

So AIR 2.1.4beta4 is clearly not a 100% robust fix, but for my particular set up, it looks like if I disable the power saver screensaver and don't use iTunes with silly GUI settings, then I should be white noise free.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Confused - 26-Apr-2015, 12:40
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58