Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(26-Apr-2015, 12:40)Confused Wrote: Very consistent results, when the screen shuts down, the music stops, AIR shuts down, no white noise.

I deliberately tried what I know to be very bad PC settings for white noise, that is running iTunes 16/44.1 with the sound card GIU settings at 24/192. 

@Confused, great work, indeed! They should name the final version of AIR in your honor: AIR-X.X.X-Confused
So, it sounds like (pun intended) where before it generated white noise, it now shuts AIR down? That's more graceful behavior.
I wonder if this shutting down also generates the "crash log" Devialet's developer mentioned on the forum page with the link to the beta-4. Have you checked 
C:\Program Files (x86)\Devialet\AIR
for the presence of any such logs?
Setting GUI to 24/192, while playing 16/44, causes AIR to upsample, which is a very CPU intensive activity. That probably accounts for the increased rate of white noise with this combination.
Now I wonder if those who indicated beta-4 was still error-prone for them, don't use bit-perfect playback (which requires JRiver or Foobar2000 - most other players on Windows are not bit-perfect, even if you set "WASAPI bit perfect" in AIR), and have AIR set to something other than 16/44.1? That would impose some consistency on the current state of things.
PS. Tomorrow, I'll try my only scenario for inducing white noise, and report on that.
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II

Messages In This Thread
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by AlexS - 26-Apr-2015, 23:41