Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
I don't think our problem here is related to PC configuration at all (although it's probably a good thing to optimize it for playing music, for other reasons).
Let me put it this way: I did not have the white noise for over a month, with streaming sessions up to about 80 minutes. Then, one day, I keep my Devialet and AIR on and connected for about 5 hours, play music for over 3 hours, and pause tracks (sometimes longer than a minute). And I get the white noise. Can't be a pure coincidence. The PC configuration, which lasted me for a month without any issues, suddenly turns problematic? Highly unlikely.
Antoine's experiment proves it's not the duration of the listening session itself. So, it must be something correlated with long listening sessions. Pausing tracks for a long time? (I do remember that 2 times out of 3 I did pause tracks for a long time, but in one case it took an extra hour of playing to make the problem happen - so, my own hypothesis does not completely convince me).
The theory with obselete drivers was an interesting one, but @Confused's recollection that AIR 2.1.2 was the only version installed on his PC puts it to rest.

George, is Kernel mode the same as ASIO? I did not think Devialet AIR supported ASIO. But I think you can easily verify this:
a) Set the preferred format to 16/44
b) Play high resolution music
c) Check the actual sampling rate in Devialet (I think by long-pressing the source button).
JRiver MC20 --> Devialet 250 Expert Pro --> KEF Blades II

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by AlexS - 01-Aug-2014, 14:26
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58