Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(11-Aug-2014, 15:03)AlexS Wrote:
(10-Aug-2014, 23:25)ogs Wrote: To me it sounds like the virtual sound card lost sync with the amp.

@ogs, what do you mean by that?
Also, do you recall pausing tracks during your listening session, especially, pausing for lengthy period of times?

Hi AlexS, sorry for the late response.
When I heard the white noise it reminded me of the noise I get when clock sync over an S/PDIF link to a DAC is lost or rather when the input circuit on the DAC can not lock to the sample rate of incoming data. AIR is designed to be 'asynchronous' i.e. the clock in the amp will control the virtual sound card running on the PC/Mac. If this sync is lost I believe noise is the result unless the mute circuit kicks in. I may of course be wrong here..
I do not recall pausing playback - not in the last hour or two before the noise anyway.

(12-Aug-2014, 00:01)Georgethesixth Wrote: It looks like Devialet wants to avoid the complexity of having to enter the amplifier/DAC IP-address but the way they solved this is hardly elegant.
To be clear : we bought the Devialet for the sound quality and not for the way they use TCP/IP.

I completely agree with this. Two of the main designers at Devialet has background from Nortel R&D and should have lots of network knowledge.

(12-Aug-2014, 22:31)thumb5 Wrote: Indeed. There are any number of devices that solve essentially the same problem without recourse to continuous broadcasts (Sonos, just to pick an obvious example of one that "just works").

Another example: slimproto, streaming from slimserver (LMS) to squeezeboxes. Rock solid
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by ogs - 14-Aug-2014, 11:23
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58