Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
I think Alex is right. I can get the white noise with every PC media player I've tried, including iTunes, which was what AIR was designed for in the first place. However, I can get large variations in "clean" running time depending on sound card /AIR GUI settings and whether or not I'm playing 24 bit material. As Alex wrote, WASAPI is not the culprit, but yes it definitely exacerbates the issue. Now this evidence would Also appear consistent with Alex's memory leak theory, but for me, I'm thinking that if Devialet, that is the guys who are the authors of AIR, have spent several months now unable to solve the issue, what chance do us mortals stand? In fact it's been so long now, I'm wondering if the issue is so intrinsic with how AIR operates that maybe Devialet can't solve it, and maybe never will, at least without doing something fundamentally different with AIR, which of course may have implications for sound quality. After all, WASAPI with 24bit sounds best to me (for good technical reasons) but it also happens to be worst for white noise (I'm feeling pessimistic today)

Perhaps I'm being overly pessimistic, and the new rock solid ultra high quality AIR will appear in time for Christmas.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Confused - 28-Sep-2014, 18:21
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58