Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(22-Apr-2016, 05:25)Dr Tone Wrote: ... lasted 3.5 DSD albums.  That's all you have to beat. Sigh!
Ha ha ha ... its funny the way you put it Smile .... For me the AIR option currently is like "uh...." its over ... back to USB.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
Seems fair, will have to do that tomorrow as I am down to my last three or four DSD tracks for the evening. I will probably just queue up 10 DSD albums in Roon, turn the volume low, hit mute on the Devialet, head off to work and see what is happening when I come home.

Knock on wood.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Dr Tone & baddog - Fine efforts here testing AIR to destruction. (which is not that difficult to achieve, to be fair)

Just to clear here, in particular with Dr Tones efforts, you are playing DSD's until the dreaded white noise appears? But how is AIR performing otherwise, is it more or less clean, are you getting stuttering, clicks or other AIR related anomalies. I have very little material on DSD, most of my listening tends to be 16/44, and with a few tweaks on my PC I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had white noise, but stuttering, clicks and other annoying nonsense, yes, I get this all the time. So I guess I am just wondering how clean AIR was running for you, whilst it was running at least?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
In my environment, when playing them in a mix-mash format, no issue at all. Now, playing strictly all 24/192 and DSD64 music for more than 1 hour and still no problem. Will let it continue running for at least 4 hours, that should surpass Dr. Tone's record.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

AIR is a pain, everyone seems to have different results. I usually only have problems if I only play 16/44.1 material, after about 2-3 albums I get stuttering. However, this week I had white noise for the first time in months, had been playing a mixture of different formats, which is usually pretty reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(22-Apr-2016, 09:27)Chris Marshall Wrote: AIR is a pain, everyone seems to have different results.  I usually only have problems if I only play 16/44.1 material, after about 2-3 albums I get stuttering.  However, this week I had white noise for the first time in months, had been playing a mixture of different formats, which is usually pretty reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone seems to have different results? - Actually, that is probably the key point.  I am always finding myself trying to work out patterns with AIR, why it works sometimes and is problematic other times, but the only genuinely predicable thing about AIR is that it is totally unpredictable.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(22-Apr-2016, 09:52)Confused Wrote: "The only genuinely predicable thing about AIR is that it is totally unpredictable" (my quotes)

Confused, you have a knack for these things…. Smile I'd copyright it before it gets into some marketing material. TUA.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(22-Apr-2016, 10:06)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(22-Apr-2016, 09:52)Confused Wrote: "The only genuinely predicable thing about AIR is that it is totally unpredictable" (my quotes)

Confused, you have a knack for these things…. Smile  I'd copyright it before it gets into some marketing material. TUA.

A good one for your signature perhaps?  Tongue

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(22-Apr-2016, 08:18)Confused Wrote: Dr Tone & baddog - Fine efforts here testing AIR to destruction.  (which is not that difficult to achieve, to be fair)

Just to clear here, in particular with Dr Tones efforts, you are playing DSD's until the dreaded white noise appears?  But how is AIR performing otherwise, is it more or less clean, are you getting stuttering, clicks or other AIR related anomalies.  I have very little material on DSD, most of my listening tends to be 16/44, and with a few tweaks on my PC I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had white noise, but stuttering, clicks and other annoying nonsense, yes, I get this all the time.  So I guess I am just wondering how clean AIR was running for you, whilst it was running at least?

It never stuttered once.  Other than a little tick noise once in a while when starting playback it was flawless till the white noise came. I have an i7 3770 with 8GB and an SSD in my W10 box doing nothing but RoonBridge and AIR ETH.  I would hope there is no stutter.

White Noise never came on anything less than DSD in the week I ran it. I could see no correlation to network traffic when it did happen. Through my various config changes, I made it happen 6-8 times in the last 4 or say days just playing DSD. My internet speed is 120/10 so even with crashplan kicked in on my server it would be using 1/10th of the gigabit network bandwidth. In fact a couple times I was copying a few 100GB of blu-ray movie rips to my NAS from iMac as playing DSD content and it never caused a white noise episode. It's totally random when it happens.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

I will never be 100% confident enough in Air in it's current state to turn up the volume and enjoy the music. The smaller subset of well mastered music I've extracted from my large main collection is close to 50% high bitrate.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2