Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(22-Apr-2016, 08:18)Confused Wrote: Dr Tone & baddog - Fine efforts here testing AIR to destruction.  (which is not that difficult to achieve, to be fair)

Just to clear here, in particular with Dr Tones efforts, you are playing DSD's until the dreaded white noise appears?  But how is AIR performing otherwise, is it more or less clean, are you getting stuttering, clicks or other AIR related anomalies.  I have very little material on DSD, most of my listening tends to be 16/44, and with a few tweaks on my PC I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I had white noise, but stuttering, clicks and other annoying nonsense, yes, I get this all the time.  So I guess I am just wondering how clean AIR was running for you, whilst it was running at least?

It never stuttered once.  Other than a little tick noise once in a while when starting playback it was flawless till the white noise came. I have an i7 3770 with 8GB and an SSD in my W10 box doing nothing but RoonBridge and AIR ETH.  I would hope there is no stutter.

White Noise never came on anything less than DSD in the week I ran it. I could see no correlation to network traffic when it did happen. Through my various config changes, I made it happen 6-8 times in the last 4 or say days just playing DSD. My internet speed is 120/10 so even with crashplan kicked in on my server it would be using 1/10th of the gigabit network bandwidth. In fact a couple times I was copying a few 100GB of blu-ray movie rips to my NAS from iMac as playing DSD content and it never caused a white noise episode. It's totally random when it happens.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Messages In This Thread
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Dr Tone - 22-Apr-2016, 13:30