Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(29-Apr-2016, 01:01)hk6230 Wrote: @Zappydev, if you are using Roon, then give a try of splitting RoonServer andf RoonBridge on two separate machines, with RoonBridge and AIR 2.1.3 running on a Win 8.1 system.

This is something I did try... configured a Win 10 PC to just run RoonBridge and AIR 2.1.3.   And it did work longer than any other scenario I've had - but ultimately also resulted in white noise.  I do think that simplifying the PC config running AIR does helps make it more stable, but sadly did not fully eliminate the problem (at least not for me).

I also took an older laptop, put RoonBridge on it and then used it to stream via USB to the Devialet.  That worked well and, of course, took AIR out of the mix completely.  So that's another strategy if you don't mind putting it in your music listening room.   Because there was so little running on that laptop, the fan rarely kicked in so it was fairly quiet.  I also considered putting an SSD drive in it and just dedicating it as a RoonBridge but ...

I'm now using the uRendu and there's just no going back.   I'm not going to attempt to compare sound quality between it and AIR just yet, but suffice it to say that I'm extremely happy with what I'm hearing now just 24 hours into the uRendu.  And that's just with the iFi power supply feeding it.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA

Messages In This Thread
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by mdconnelly - 05-May-2016, 18:38