Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(04-Nov-2014, 17:09)AlexS Wrote:
(04-Nov-2014, 11:12)smokejumper Wrote: I think Devialet would be better served giving us a uPnP interface as a priority, higher priority than working on the DSD interface.

I'm actually not sure it's a good idea. Devialet is not a full fledged computer, nor, in my opinion, should it be one. I'd rather my computer (the player) handle all the different music formats, and just send the WAVE input to Devialet. For instance, Foobar handles more input formats than uPnP renderers. And I can always install additional components to suit my needs. The same flexibility won't be possible with Devialet as a player.

Thank you Antoine and Guillaume! This is good info regarding the USB options. I think, if the white noise remains an issue for me with 2.1.3, I'd be better off buying a light weight MAC, using JRiver, and still streaming my files over AIR and Ethernet.
Alex, My meaning was not that the Devialet become a server of music, just that it should be a client capable of talking to a uPnP server on a computer. Many available streamers, bluray players and even TVs do this. You could still use eg JRiver, but you would see the Devialet as a device you could select to play on. This approach uses a well-defined interface which many devices already use, rather than the proprietary and lower level virtual soundcard approach. My fear is that if there is a bug in Windows at the root of all this white noise issue, MS might not see the weight of numbers of other users to bump it up to high priority.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by smokejumper - 05-Nov-2014, 09:51
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58