Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(05-Nov-2014, 17:23)brit Wrote:
(05-Nov-2014, 16:18)Riddo Wrote:
(04-Nov-2014, 09:57)Confused Wrote:
(01-Nov-2014, 09:30)Riddo Wrote: I put ethernet setting to maximum 5000ms and restarted Jriver and Air, and started a new 24-96 track and miraculously it played through until the following (16-44) random song where it spat out another continuous stream of spitting music and noise.

This is an interesting post, because for me, if I set the buffer to 5000ms and try to play a 24/192 file, AIR then shuts down in about 3 seconds. Although with 24/48 or 24/96 the 5000ms buffer still works.
It seems to behave differently depending on whether I have a random playlist containing varying sample rates and bit depths or - as I tried after reading your post - a playlist of 24-192 only. I get the noise on random playlists and on the high res I get 3-4 seconds of music followed by about 12 seconds of silence... ad infinitum.
After trying lots of Jriver setting variations today, I am, for now, back with the Moon 180 or USB - no fingernail biting.

I had been following all these posts re white noise on AIR on Windows with a passing interest as, until very recently, I had not been using (nor needed to use) AIR, as all my listening had been via USB direct from my Wyred4sound Music Server. Anyway my W4S is now away being fitted with SSD to replaced it's existind HD, so I now needed to try AIR, or revert to my CD player! Having read all these posts, I approached the AIR route with a little apprehension. Anyway AIR 2.1.2 (haven't tried 2.1.3 yet) was downloaded to my Windows 7 PC and I am running with iTunes to my D400 via Ethernet, via my PC Router and a TP Link Ethernet switch. My AIR settings are WASAPI disabled, 24/96 and 100ms. To date I have to report that I have not yet (thankfully) experienced the dreaded white noise. I have been listening for several hours at a stretch for about a week now, as I am also trying some new digital interlink cables between Master & Companion Units - I will post more on that subject later in the appropriate Thread - and all is fine! I hope that I am not tempting fate by posting a more +ve outcome than some, in using AIR on Ethernet!

I must also say that the SQ using AIR has been fine.

David

Hi David!

Without wishing to hijack the subject of this thread how do you find the SQ of AIR compares to the Wyred4sound server?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by GuillaumeB - 05-Nov-2014, 17:26
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58