Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
I have had an interesting day trying AIR 2.1.4-beta1. The good news is that it looks like we are finally getting somewhere with this one. The bad news is that the issue has not 100% gone, or not for me at least. The further good news is that this is no longer a random type event, but now shows very specific behaviour.

I was running JRiver, WASAPI, with exclusively 24bit music. No issues at all for 1 and a half hours, the music then flicked into white noise, temporarily, then recovered and continued to play for two hours with no problems. The key point is that this white noise event occurred exactly at the moment that my PC switched into screensaver mode, although it had gone into screensaver mode earlier with just a minor glitch in the smooth running of the music . Leaving the PC in screensaver mode, using an iPad for track selection, no white noise issues at all. After a period of running, I tried a few runs just leaving the PC playing as it went into screensaver mode, and 9 time out of 10 this resulted in a white noise event, either just a few second of white noise, then recovering back to music, or sometimes just a full switch to white noise. I tried the same thing with 16/44.1 material, an each time the switch to screensaver mode caused a small jump in the music, but nothing drastic and no white noise.

I'll try a few more things tomorrow. Based on today's results it looks like AIR 2.1.4-beta1 is a fairly solid performer, except for whatever my PC is doing to upset things when it goes into screensaver mode. Do any of the IT wizards on here have any idea what this might be?

I guess there is the obvious workaround of setting the screensaver to 2 hours or something? Although I do sometimes wonder if letting the machine go into screensaver mode is actually slightly better for sound quality, with less PC systems running? This suggests another workaround, that is to let it go into screensaver mode once (remember I had 1 and a half hours running before the screensaver mode caused this event), then leave the PC alone and just use iPad control.

If someone can work out what is happening during the switch to screensaver mode, we might be able to get nearer to a 100% robust cure.

Any ideas?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Confused - 20-Dec-2014, 17:58
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58