Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
Did a little testing.
Windows 7 64-bit, AIR 2.1.2 (yes, I just realised I'm a version behind the current GA release Sad), JRMC 19 running into the Devialet AIR (WASAPI) device. In the test I was running the JRMC 'Media Server', not the interactive JRMC app. JRMC is accessing my library on a Qnap NAS which is mounted as a shared drive. Everything is hard-wired ethernet. I was using the same 16/44.1 FLAC material throughout. There was no screensaver set.

First test with High Performance power option profile with display set to turn of after 15 minutes caused a 10 second dropout bang on 15 minutes.
I tried again - and got no dropout on 15 minutes. Waited a little. still no dropouts.

I reduced display turn-off period to 5 minutes & restarted AIR. Curiously I got a 10 second (or so) dropout after 10 minutes. I used the PC and restarted AIR, then got a 5 second or so dropout after 9 minutes. I moved the mouse on the PC (no AIR restart) and got a dropout after 8 minutes for about 5 secs.

I then reduced the display turn-off to 2 minutes. Got a 5sec dropout after 3 minutes.

I then reduced the display turn-off to 1 minute and tested multiple times. Sometimes I saw a dropout on the exact 2 minute boundary (I was using a stopwatch by now), other times it could take 2-3 minutes for a dropout. It seemed to always occur within 2-3 minutes. I didn't need to stop/restart AIR to reproduce.

So there seems to be some relation to the display turn-off but strangely that's not the whole story. It seems as if the dropouts only occurred when the display has been turned off by the OS power saver, and then they occur either exactly when that kicks in or some random time after, though that 'random' time could appear to be exactly 1 minute after so it may be occurring at some fixed poll time.
I then started looking at whether something else could be causing it - I tried pinging the ethernet interface on the PC and curiously I got no dropouts whatsoever while I was doing this, though I only tested a couple of times.

I then changed the setup to iTunes into AIR using ALAC files on the local disk. Not a single dropout or white noise Sad

I'm going to upgrade AIR to 2.1.3 and try again. There's nothing useful-looking in the Windows event logs. I might try and attach a debugger to AIR too and see if that gives a clue, even though I don't have the symbol table.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by Rufus McDufus - 05-Jan-2015, 17:50
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58