Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows
(11-Feb-2015, 11:15)IanG-UK Wrote: I've been experiencing white noise on a very simple Apple based set-up with a MacBook Pro as my sole source, for months. In fact, given it is my sole source, I barely use my Devialets now, along with my Magico Q1s. At the moment it feels like £55k of wasted money.

Most recently I emailed Absolute Sounds, the UK importer, who told me that "we do have a few customers which are encountering this problem but the greatest majority are not" - yet I know that my problem has been replicated by my dealer and by Devialet themselves. But having spoken to Absolute Sounds they say they have only two Apple-based customers (as opposed to Windows based customers) with the fault and, for the customer other than me, they have changed the computer, the router and the Devialet and his problems still persist; whereas they have used his kit at the Absolute Sounds location without a problem. Weird.

However, given that Devialet exclusively use Apple kit for their demonstrations, something is strange here - either it is not "a few" (overall) because Devialet can just set up an Apple front end and replicate my white noise fault; or it is "a few" because Devialet have to set up 10 or 20 Apple front ends to get it to happen in one instance - in which case the fault is much more readily traceable.

Either way, it seems to me that it is either widespread and therefore warrants lots of resource throwing at it; or it is rare but can be differentially replicated by Devialet and therefore more easily traceable.

All very odd.

I sympathise, I have had the same problem.

I have gone so far as to buy a mac-mini so that I can use USB. An expensive solution but one that works. USB is rock solid.

As you have a macbook, why don't you do the same?
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ethernet streaming and occasional white noise on Windows - by canyelles - 11-Feb-2015, 12:01
Chasing AIR's flaws - by Mohmm - 26-Apr-2015, 12:58