Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air & Devialet memory (technical)
(04-May-2015, 19:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(04-May-2015, 18:08)thumb5 Wrote: The fact that AIR doesn't work well in your system shouldn't be generalised.  AIR does work well enough for a reasonable proportion of users.  

Respectfully, I'm not just generalising from my experience, it's also based on the polls here which - assuming they represent a tiny fraction of Devialet users - contradict that view. Anyway, I don't mean to be antagonistic, it's just I find it hard to see why anyone would defend it. If Air worked, there would be quite a few less posts here!

Point taken, and I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Looking at the poll dispassionately, about a third of the people who responded don't get any problems.  Of the remainder it's hard to say how serious are the problems that they experience - could be anything from "it barely works" to "it works almost perfectly".  Because the poll is not a random sample of Devialet users, I'd expect it to over-represent the occurrence of problems because people who do have problems are more likely to be aware of this site, and more motivated to respond to the poll.  (That's not in any way to devalue the poll as a way of gathering some concrete information about the frequency of problems.)  

(04-May-2015, 19:14)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I'm assuming from your stance that it works flawlessly in your setup?  Do you use Ethernet or wifi?

In my system it works nearly flawlessly - I have short drop-outs very rarely, but thankfully nothing on the scale of the white noise discussed elsewhere on the forum.  My computer is wireless to my router, and the Devialet is wired.  Incidentally, in the poll I said I did experience problems.

As I said, AIR is (obviously) not perfect.  But equally I think it's unreasonable to say "it doesn't work" as a blanket, binary judgement.  It's more reasonable to say that it works perfectly well for some people and less well for others.  I have a lot of sympathy if it's not working for you, as I know how frustrating that sort of thing can be, but it's not necessarily an indication that the design is fundamentally broken.  Otherwise, surely it wouldn't work reliably for anyone?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
Air & Devialet memory (technical) - by amabrok - 03-May-2015, 19:02
RE: Air & Devialet memory (technical) - by thumb5 - 04-May-2015, 20:17