Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bass response - how deep should my speakers go for a lifelike sound at home?
Yes for music, no for home theatre. The sound level for home theatre is rarely achievable with affordable stereo speakers even when they go deep enough.
Listen to the examples on the linked page to get an idea for yourself.

I used to think otherwise but when I ordered my Goldmund Epilog 1&2 the Epilog 1 came first and I used them on their own for a couple of months, admittedly they go to a fairly low 34Hz -3dB point, but when the Epilog 2 arrived the improvement was in power handling and dynamics, the extra bass was not obvious except on a very few organ tracks. The bass speed and lack of overhang was one of the key features of the Epilogs (and is very much more natural than any of the thin wall BBC type speakers I have heard) so I was still chuffed, but for music the Epilog 1 is plenty, though just discontinued Smile

Mind you I listen almost exclusively to classical music, albeit at concert hall levels, rather than electronic pop.

I take your point about the bigger cones, but in a well engineered enclosure a 8" unit can go low enough for most music IME, and as long as it has a linear long throw magnetic circuit will be fine. The Epilog 1 has a 6 1/2" unit fwiw and was good, though I haven't played it on its own for almost 20 years...

Nowadays I have the choice between horns, which go down to about 40Hz, or the Epilog 1&2s which go down to 25Hz, frankly the obvious differences between them on music is not the bass!
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bass response - how deep should my speakers go for a lifelike sound at home? - by f1eng - 07-Jul-2015, 18:59