Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers
Hi Manoet,

Excellent post!. I and a few others have tried SAM profiles on our non-SAM speakers, but I don't think anyone has put the process and results together as well as you have here. As you did, I tried profiles that were for speakers that have similar drivers and cabinet specifications; again, your Q1 and Minissimo profiles are probably closer to your speakers than for most of the rest of us. I believe that my personal best -match was using the ProAc Tablette Anniversary SAM profile on my original Tablettes. But I did find that an 'inappropriate' SAM application does help each of my speakers. I do, however, turn the percentage down to somewhere between 0 and about 30%. The bass clarity improves, I believe, or some of the bass spectrum and the midrange, in each case, definitely feels 'freer' and less congested. It is curious that even at 0% SAM, there is an audible difference. Again, in the midrange more so than in the bass.

If you sniff out the other threads or posts on this idea, you will find that we all understand that this sort of 'good clean fun' is frowned upon. And I understand that some damage could result, depending on the mismatch between the profile and the speaker, and the welly given the ole' volume knob. But giving various speaker profiles is a good diversion, and gets some interesting results. And all this fussing without buying any new equipment!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada

Messages In This Thread
RE: Using random SAM profiles on unSAMable speakers - by Damon - 11-Jun-2015, 02:38