Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dialog connection protocol
I have had quite a few problems with stuttering and hesitation at the beginning of tracks when playing tracks from my computer to my Phantoms.
Devialet support has been endlessly helpful but one of the suggestions I did not try until today because of cables/sockets/room layout was to plug both Phantoms and the dialog into the same unfiltered mains socket.
Problem fixed.
It seems that in addition to the 3 wifi networks a Dialog passes information through the mains cable to the Phantoms (HomePlugAV in the spec) which I had not registered was so important
I have a filtered mains outlet on one side of the room, because of a plug ethernet extension. The Dialog and one Phantom were plugged into this side of the room. That would prevent the HomePlug AV data getting to the other Phantom.

And here's me thinking it is all wireless...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Wow - I never realised they were using the HomePlug comms method either! That's well worth knowing, and a potential source of woe.

For some reason I'm feeling rather cynical today and sensed a slight double-edge to your description of Devialet support as 'endlessly helpful'!
Hmmm... PLCs were mentioned in the whitepaper and specs right from the start but I had understood that this was an alternative way of connecting Phantoms. I would be very disappointed if it's mandatory - I have been 'educated' ad nauseam about the negative side effects of this approach - basically they turn the mains wiring in your home into a large radio transmitter...

For amusement look at this site:

http://www.ban-plt.org.uk
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Yes, it seems to me that it is stupid of Devialet to require both means of communication in the first place. Surely Wi-fi should be enough for their purposes. Or HomePlugAv.

But, instead, they require both. Surely, if one ain't working well enough, they should then default to the other, not demand both.

Sorry, but it seems stupid to me.
I has already some problems with this. I used some home automation plugs to switch power off/on to the phantoms...and they just stopped working properly. This even happened when I plugged in these plugs in to the same socket unit (but not direct to phantom). They messed up the communication big time..
So for now..just switch power off manually...
(13-Jun-2015, 07:36)Gremlin Wrote: Yes, it seems to me that it is stupid of Devialet to require both means of communication in the first place. Surely Wi-fi should be enough for their purposes. Or HomePlugAv.

But, instead, they require both. Surely, if one ain't working well enough, they should then default to the other, not demand both.

Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you 😐

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(13-Jun-2015, 08:24)NickB Wrote: Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you ?

Smile

All types of network connection introduce 'noise' of various kinds into the system so having three running at the same time can't really be the best approach from a SQ perspective.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(13-Jun-2015, 08:24)NickB Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 07:36)Gremlin Wrote: Yes, it seems to me that it is stupid of Devialet to require both means of communication in the first place. Surely Wi-fi should be enough for their purposes. Or HomePlugAv.

Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you ?

I can imagine that they would want to have the most robust technology available. However, I can't imagine why they would implement things in such a way as to give a less than robust result.

Redundancy in a system must be good, but then to rely on the redundant parts (ie those that aren't working) seems silly to me.

Beats me.
I had a drop out from my range extender into which the dialogue was connected. AS a temporary measure I plugged the ethernet cable into a home plug. At the same time I started trying out Qubuz. I found Qubuz to be a bit harsh especially in the vocals. I sorted out my extender connection yesterday and the sound quality went back to good.
(13-Jun-2015, 08:43)PhilP Wrote:
(13-Jun-2015, 08:24)NickB Wrote: Actually its 3 working together as RJ45 is there as well as they wanted to combine all 3 to give the most robust network possible, can't imagine why they would want to do that can you ?

Smile

All types of network connection introduce 'noise' of various kinds into the system so having three running at the same time can't really be the best approach from a SQ perspective.

This is true, but it isn't new. I can easily understand it being a potential problem for vintage kit, designed when such things did not exist, but anybody who designed a modern piece of audio which was susceptible to such well known, and known for years, type of potential interference would be a cretin, no?
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire