Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 8.1.2 released
(30-Jun-2015, 17:55)Confused Wrote:
(30-Jun-2015, 15:21)AlexS Wrote:
(28-Jun-2015, 09:12)Confused Wrote: Now I have a decision to make [...] The purist in me says SAM off until resolved, but on a quick listen last night, the Ref 5 SAM profile actually sounded really good, and given that this is an identical driver to the Blade this might make sense from a technical perspective.  

@Confused, the purist in you has a very valid point Smile Just let SAM go. I understand those what would like squeeze more bass out of their monitors. But what do you need SAM for, with speakers of such refinement and power as KEF Blades? They can stand for themselves... Also, the bass drivers in KEF Blades II and the Reference series are different (smaller) than in KEF Blades.

The purist in me did not stick with "alternative" SAM profiles for very long!  I listened to one or two tracks on Sunday night that didn't sound quite right on Ref 5 SAM, so this this temporary fix was abandoned.   I'm back on ye olde 7.1.3 now, with classic V1 SAM that works.  And yes you are correct about the driver size, it was kind of in my head that they were the same size and I was just trying different things at the weekend, as much out of frustration that yet another firmware update had gone wrong.

As to SAM, it is true that the Blades have more than enough bass without SAM, but that is only part of the story, the phase and timing corrections do improve the quality of the bass.  With some music SAM can be quite an improvement, which is remarkable because the accuracy of the bass is one of the blades strong points.  When you get these kind of improvements, it's very hard to go backwards sometimes.

As an update, Devialet support have been more than helpful so far, they have confirmed that they can recreate the issue (although I'm not sure how?) and are working on a fix.  Time will tell ......

This is pure speculation from my part, but given what SAM is which is a very thorough and accurate modeling of speakers, I would not be surprised if they can run a simulation of their DSP processing plus ADH plus the model of the speaker, and if what you experience is a flaw in either the SAM profile, the SAM algorithm they should be able to reproduce it with the model and figure out what went wrong.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
An update on my issue with 8.1.2 / SAM 2 / KEF Blade issue I reported (moaned on line about) last weekend.

I received some very rapid communication from Devialet support, and by early today I received a correspondence stating that they has solved the issue and updated the Blade SAM profile on the configurator. I have been more than happy to whinge about Devialet support in the past, but I have to say, this time around the quality of communication and speed of problem resolution was absolutely first class.

Anyway, I have just updated to the "new" SAM profile for the Blades. First impressions from listening to a few tracks.:

Firstly, the very problematic bass issue reported earlier appears to be resolved. Secondly, I did not feel that the bass was quite as "tight" as with SAM / 7.1.3 firmware, and in some cases too much bass.

I then tried with SAM 50%, this appeared to be similar to "old" SAM 100% with 7.1.3 and seemed to work better, with the bass tightening up again. It is a little late now, very hot for the UK (!) and I'm not really in the mood for too much critical listening at the moment. But from a short listen I reckon SAM at maybe 60% or 70% is going to sound about right and be very similar to "old" SAM on 7.x.x firmware, I need to experiment further some time. I am not sure if this is due to issues with the original 7.x.x SAM profile for the Blades, or a consequence of the revised effects of SAM 2. Has anyone else found that SAM 2 needs the SAM % to be reduced vs the SAM % with 7.x.x? (I need to re-read this thread perhaps?)

As a last observation, after 3 failed attempts, I am finally up and running with V8 firmware. I have only had a quick listen, but apart from the bass / SAM changes, which can be mitigated with a tweak of SAM %, I think 8.1.2 sounds very much like 7.1.3beta, which for me as a 7.1.3 fan is very good news indeed! It looks like I have gained some SAM adjustability too, rather than my old standard of running straight 100%
(01-Jul-2015, 21:14)Confused Wrote: An update on my issue with 8.1.2 / SAM 2 / KEF Blade issue I reported (moaned on line about) last weekend.

I received some very rapid communication from Devialet support, and by early today I received a correspondence stating that they has solved the issue and updated the Blade SAM profile on the configurator.  I have been more than happy to whinge about Devialet support in the past, but I have to say, this time around the quality of communication and speed of problem resolution was absolutely first class.

Anyway, I have just updated to the "new" SAM profile for the Blades. First impressions from listening to a few tracks.:

Firstly, the very problematic bass issue reported earlier appears to be resolved. Secondly, I did not feel that the bass was quite as "tight" as with SAM / 7.1.3 firmware, and in some cases too much bass.

I then tried with SAM 50%, this appeared to be similar to "old" SAM 100% with 7.1.3 and seemed to work better, with the bass tightening up again. It is a little late now, very hot for the UK (!) and I'm not really in the mood for too much critical listening at the moment. But from a short listen I reckon SAM at maybe 60% or 70% is going to sound about right and be very similar to "old" SAM on 7.x.x firmware, I need to experiment further some time.  I am not sure if this is due to issues with the original 7.x.x SAM profile for the Blades, or a consequence of the revised effects of SAM 2.  Has anyone else found that SAM 2 needs the SAM % to be reduced vs the SAM % with 7.x.x?  (I need to re-read this thread perhaps?)

As a last observation, after 3 failed attempts, I am finally up and running with V8 firmware.  I have only had a quick listen, but apart from the bass / SAM changes, which can be mitigated with a tweak of SAM %, I think 8.1.2 sounds very much like 7.1.3beta, which for me as a 7.1.3 fan is very good news indeed!  It looks like I have gained some SAM adjustability too, rather than my old standard of running straight 100%

Devialet should really provide an upgraded Control App, so that we can change the % of SAM from our listening positions.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(02-Jul-2015, 05:51)miro Wrote: Devialet should really provide an upgraded Control App, so that we can change the % of SAM from our listening positions.

+1
I though you could do this with the remote if you set it right?
You can but you have to get up to look at the display! That's maybe a good thing actually. Don't we want Devialet owners to be fit and live long lives and have more years left to buy future Devialets?
a well placed camera on the roof zooming in on the devialet displays streaming to an ipad on the couch is a much better solution than getting up to read the damn thing
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
I rather liked the prism idea a while back...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Mine are on the wall so binoculars work fine Big Grin
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
My hopefully temporary solution to the viewing problem consists of two cunningly angled mirrors in a cardboard frame.  A much simpler and smaller viewer would be possible if an option was provided to flip the display such that it displayed properly in just one mirror at 45 degrees.

[Image: dev_remote_viewer.jpg]