Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Connect Phono to Dialog
(20-Oct-2015, 23:35)yesgrey Wrote: Dialog USB input has no functionality yet, but I would not count with that one... Better going for a solution with an optical output that you could connect to one of the optical inputs (either Dialog or any of the Phantoms).

OK, thank you. You are probably right.

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
Not sure if the phantom can handle 192/24 PCM via (future) USB enabled dialog, pretty sure the TOSLINK on phantom is maxed out just now at 96/24 (although TOSLINK can handle 192/24); any ways the project essential maxes out @ 96/24 on its A to D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21-Oct-2015, 20:34)DSD Wrote: pretty sure the TOSLINK on phantom is maxed out just now at 96/24 (although TOSLINK can handle 192/24)
How do you know that? I'm sending 192/24 and it's playing fine...
Oh I stand corrected grey I thought I read somewhere devialet maxed out TOSLINK on phantom @ 96/24, sorry my bad. Glad to hear you're pouring 192/24 into it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21-Oct-2015, 00:18)seb Wrote:
(20-Oct-2015, 23:35)yesgrey Wrote: Dialog USB input has no functionality yet, but I would not count with that one... Better going for a solution with an optical output that you could connect to one of the optical inputs (either Dialog or any of the Phantoms).

OK, thank you. You are probably right.

Short update. I contacted Dialog Support regarding the development path of the USB connection in Dialog. They confirmed that it is not intended for realtime conversion - so no USB turntables. Apparently the USB connector is intended for connecting an external Harddisk or SSD via firmware upgrade.

This brings me back to square one. There are some devices with Phono stage and Optical out, but either they are very cheap (< USD 50) or quite expensive (> USD 1.000). So unfortunately nothing interesting in between. Thinking about this challenge, I was wondering if I could make use of my Mac mini which is connected directly to Dialog. If I would use a decent turntable with USB out (e.g. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB) or a turntable + Phono stage with USB out (e.g. NAD PP 4), it should be possible to play through a high quality signal to the optical out of the Mac mini. Audacity app has such an option, but I have no idea if it would work as expected. Has anybody tried such a setup?

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
(13-Jan-2016, 20:26)seb Wrote: There are some devices with Phono stage and Optical out, but either they are very cheap (< USD 50) or quite expensive (> USD 1.000). So unfortunately nothing interesting in between.

What about the Pro-Ject Essential II Digital?
(13-Jan-2016, 23:58)EvPa Wrote:
(13-Jan-2016, 20:26)seb Wrote: There are some devices with Phono stage and Optical out, but either they are very cheap (< USD 50) or quite expensive (> USD 1.000). So unfortunately nothing interesting in between.

What about the Pro-Ject Essential II Digital?

I am aware of the Pro-Ject Essential II Digital. In my humble opinion it is an OK entry level turntable. Already the Debut Carbon is of significantly better design, materials, cartridge, electronics and sound quality, not talking about even more high end products.

I'm thinking of trying the ADL Stratos http://www.adl-av.com/products/usbdac/stratos/  though i'm finding it quite difficult to source one in the UK. Otherwise its the ADL GT40a with a USB to Toslink converter. Anyone tried either?

oops, telling porkies, mcru are now stocking the stratos in the uk, hmm decisions, best wait for the phantom stereo partner to turn up first!
Oracle Delphi MkVI Reference Second Generation - SME Series V - Lyra Delos 
   Expert 1000 Pro CI - Magico A3
Audioquest Niagara 3000
Nucleus+ - roon lifetime - Qobuz Sublime+
 x2 Matte Black Phantom I
It's not the ideal path IMO. What if you want to upgrade the TT later? You're limiting yourself to those with USB out. Just save and get a decent A2D converter like the Pro-Ject A/D Phono Box S. Less is more.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(15-Jan-2016, 05:54)trashken Wrote: It's not the ideal path IMO. What if you want to upgrade the TT later? You're limiting yourself to those with USB out. Just save and get a decent A2D converter like the Pro-Ject A/D Phono Box S. Less is more.

You are right. In terms of flexibility it may be better for some to go for a turntable with a "classic" RCA Phono connector. This would also leave room for some improvements regarding the Phono stage and ADC. In fact most of the turntables with USB out have also a phono stage included and only Line out, so output quality may vary. 

However the ADL Stratos as well as the ADL GT40a have a Phono Preamp included. In addition Stratos can convert to optical out (GT40a only coax!). Unfortunately there is a design flaw with the Pro-Ject A/D Phono Box S as it can only deliver optical out while actively being connected to a computer (also discussed here in the forum). Having said that I found two other ADC which might be of interest. Both are around USD 500. The third one I mention below is much more expensive.

The first also handles HDMI, but misses a phono stage:
http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/product/hdacc/

The second is actually a music system (incl. amplifier and speakers) but it has a phono stage and optical out (which is a rare combination):
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/merlin/

If there are no budget restrictions, this one might be appealing (it has digital out but apparently no optical out):
http://www.psaudio.com/products/nuwave-phono-converter/

Update:

Another one that might be interesting (ca. USD 150), no phono stage but incl. a headphone preamp):
http://www.m-audio.com/products/view/sup...quQK2diAUE