Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
improving SQ using optical connection?
(23-Sep-2015, 03:57)sleach Wrote:
(22-Sep-2015, 16:11)curban Wrote: I use an ifi ilink USB to SPDIF and optical converter, and then a optical cable from my pc (stationary, win 7). The optical (toslink) cable goes into the Phantom. The Dialog only gets AC and and RJ45 cable. Works like a charm. I think that the delay when connecting directly to the Phantom is slightly less than when connecting to the Dialog, but I have not been able to verify this.
I've just ordered an Ifi ilink myself!

I have just installed my second phantom after using a single for a while. I also have ethernet and power into the dialog, with optical into one of the phantoms.

My initial tests indicate that the optical input sounds a little better than playing straight through spark/wifi - the treble just a little less grainy and slightly lower noise floor. It is pretty marginal but that is going direct from the mac mini toslink port. I expect that to improve further with the ifi in place.

Unforunately the optical input of my dialog broke when I was setting it up (the little plastic hinge flap broke off). I would like to compare optical into the dialog too to see if it makes any difference.

sleach and curban, 

Do you mean that your optical is going into ONE phantom instead of the Dialog but you are getting playback in Stereo? I had thought Phantom optical is only for when you have one Phantom and not a pair.   

And in this scenario, are Your phantoms connected to the Dialog wireless or via cables?   If wireless that means Phantom is pushing the signal to the Dialog and then receiving back? 

I'm probably misunderstanding you - but worth an ask.

Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
RE: improving SQ using optical connection? - by MountainGuy - 16-Nov-2015, 21:52