Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM effects
(12-Sep-2014, 08:15)Confused Wrote: Indeed - this would limit options integrating a sub. I actually discovered this for a different reason. I had be loaned a Tom Evans Groove phono stage, which I tried with the Devialet. I noted that I was suffering some minor "environmental feedback", i.e. the bass cones were moving excessively at very, very low frequency. I noticed that this effect could be lessened by walking very gently to and from the turntable, which shows you how sensitive turntables are, and I have a concrete floor. I decided to set a high pass filter in the configurator, say at 10hz, to eliminate this issue. However, all the settings were "greyed out" in the GUI. Removing the SAM from the configurator, and the settings become available again. As a point of note, the cone movement issue is eliminated by the Devialet's own phono stage, which apparently includes a subsonic filter. Curiously, another way to eliminate the cone movement issue when using the Tom Evans phono stage was to crank the volume up! Why, because SAM kicks in and says "no" to what would be too larger cone movement.

Have a look at the configurator of the phono input. Check that you are using the 1976 RIAA curve, not the 1953. The 1976 curve includes a subsonic rolloff to prevent the inevitable subsonic grodge from a turntable getting to the speakers Smile
That will open up the subwoofer and SAM possibilities.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(12-Sep-2014, 13:27)f1eng Wrote:
(12-Sep-2014, 08:15)Confused Wrote: Indeed - this would limit options integrating a sub. I actually discovered this for a different reason. I had be loaned a Tom Evans Groove phono stage, which I tried with the Devialet. I noted that I was suffering some minor "environmental feedback", i.e. the bass cones were moving excessively at very, very low frequency. I noticed that this effect could be lessened by walking very gently to and from the turntable, which shows you how sensitive turntables are, and I have a concrete floor. I decided to set a high pass filter in the configurator, say at 10hz, to eliminate this issue. However, all the settings were "greyed out" in the GUI. Removing the SAM from the configurator, and the settings become available again. As a point of note, the cone movement issue is eliminated by the Devialet's own phono stage, which apparently includes a subsonic filter. Curiously, another way to eliminate the cone movement issue when using the Tom Evans phono stage was to crank the volume up! Why, because SAM kicks in and says "no" to what would be too larger cone movement.

Have a look at the configurator of the phono input. Check that you are using the 1976 RIAA curve, not the 1953. The 1976 curve includes a subsonic rolloff to prevent the inevitable subsonic grodge from a turntable getting to the speakers Smile
That will open up the subwoofer and SAM possibilities.

OOPs note to self, read whole post...
But the choice is yours in the Devialet, with or without subsonic filter. I notice that the default has changed to with in the latest configurator btw
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(20-Aug-2014, 21:35)Confused Wrote: @flohmann - it has to be said, Magico Q1's are not exactly your average small speakers! Out of interest, what did you find was the SAM downside with the Q1's?

Sorry, returning to this thread late, but I found SAM was increasing the amount of bass on my Q1s at the expense of the quality of the bass. In short, it made them sound a bit muddy. However, with further experimentation, I've found that I like it with the SAM dialed down to 10%. My theory here is that even with SAM engaged at a very low level, you still get the phase correction. Anyhow, worth experimenting with the percentage of SAM, at least it was for me.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(13-Sep-2014, 19:12)flohmann Wrote: Sorry, returning to this thread late, but I found SAM was increasing the amount of bass on my Q1s at the expense of the quality of the bass. In short, it made them sound a bit muddy. However, with further experimentation, I've found that I like it with the SAM dialed down to 10%. My theory here is that even with SAM engaged at a very low level, you still get the phase correction. Anyhow, worth experimenting with the percentage of SAM, at least it was for me.

Interesting, I think I'll have an experiment with this myself. I'm also thinking it might be worth making the effort to go to the Guilford Audio event and ask the Devialet guys about this. (amongst other things)
See thread "Great info about SAM in STEREO Magazin 10/2014" for the answer to @flohmann's 10% SAM question ........
Has anyone with SAM noticed that you can look at the config fie as a text file and see lots of interesting factors making up the SAM configuration. Now in theory, you could modify these to "tweak" the implementation of SAM. In practice though, without knowing precisely how to do this, I would imagine that great peril would result, including melted bass driver voice coils, ADH cores on fire, invalidated warranties, houses burning down, maybe even worse.

It's interesting to take a look though......
Good point. There could be some "hidden" config settings in there, and possibly some clues to new functionality! I have to admit I have edited the config file but not really taken a close look at all the variables.
Testing SAM with my Amati Futura.
I can perceive a difference but is not so evident as seems to be with other speakers. Generally there is more separation and a bit more range. So far tried with ethernet connection with a range of 41, 48 and 96 kHz, testing now with the turntable.
I need more buttons on the remote!! I really hope they move some functionalities to the app, like SAM on/off, treble/bass/balance..
M
(04-Oct-2014, 23:17)Rufus McDufus Wrote: Good point. There could be some "hidden" config settings in there, and possibly some clues to new functionality! I have to admit I have edited the config file but not really taken a close look at all the variables.

I thought there was a checksum in the config file (specifically to prevent bit errors potentially damaging the Devialet by an incompatible/dangerous setting) ?

I remember too that there was some discussion when the WiFi network block was added to the config file, because people didn't want Devialet knowing their WiFi password (privacy). At the time, Devialet got around this by excluding the password from the checksum calculation, which then allowed users to edit the WiFi password themselves.

If this is still the case, I don't think it's possible to edit 99% of the config file without invalidating the generated checksum......, so I'd be very surprised that any changes can be made that would be accepted at boot time...
Photo 
I'm currently looking for some new speakers to replace my Sf Cremona Auditor Ms. Obvs I've been working through the SAM list. I happened to look at the SAM effect graphic for the Focal Diablo Utopia IIIs. Wow, it's pretty bonkers.

SAM off:
[Image: Focal-Diablo-Utopia3-SansSAM-SansBordure.png]
And now SAM on:
[Image: Focal-Diablo-Utopia3-AvecSAM-SansBordure.png]
Now this is quite similar to the KEF LS50 graphic, but the LS50s have 5.25" mid/bass drivers, and the Focals are 6.5". I guess what I'm saying is that I find it surprising that the bass of the Focals with SAM off is so messy.

Any thoughts?

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London