Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subwoofer and Mains Filter - Problems?
I'm by no means an expert on sub-woofer integration, although I have dabbled a bit.  Please forgive me if I'm suggesting things you already know or tried out...

25 Hz seems a very low cross-over frequency to me, especially if your main speakers are bookshelf-sized.  Something in the region of 80 Hz is more normally used.  Maybe that would be worth experimenting with?

I would expect, as you did, that the 25 Hz high-pass filter on the main speakers shouldn't be having any noticeable effect at 100 Hz.  However if the speakers are small I would also expect there's not much output from them anyway at 25 Hz.

Are you sure that the sub-woofer is receiving a low-pass filtered signal both when the mains get a full-range signal and when they're high-pass filtered?  From what you've said it sounds as though maybe the sub is also getting a full-range signal when the mains are.  At least, that's the only way I can understand what you described.

My other thought was to do with time/phase alignment of the sub-woofer with the mains.  Unless you've taken some care to make it so, it's very likely that the sub and mains will not be in phase at the cross-over frequency.  That is generally considered to be a requirement for good integration.  Maybe some tinkering with the phase control on the sub-woofer would be useful.  (Is it continuously variable, or just a 0/180 degrees polarity control?)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK

Messages In This Thread
RE: Subwoofer and Mains Filter - Problems? - by thumb5 - 27-Oct-2015, 18:58