Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subwoofer and Mains Filter - Problems?
(27-Oct-2015, 18:58)thumb5 Wrote: I'm by no means an expert on sub-woofer integration, although I have dabbled a bit.  Please forgive me if I'm suggesting things you already know or tried out...

25 Hz seems a very low cross-over frequency to me, especially if your main speakers are bookshelf-sized.  Something in the region of 80 Hz is more normally used.  Maybe that would be worth experimenting with?

I would expect, as you did, that the 25 Hz high-pass filter on the main speakers shouldn't be having any noticeable effect at 100 Hz.  However if the speakers are small I would also expect there's not much output from them anyway at 25 Hz.

Are you sure that the sub-woofer is receiving a low-pass filtered signal both when the mains get a full-range signal and when they're high-pass filtered?  From what you've said it sounds as though maybe the sub is also getting a full-range signal when the mains are.  At least, that's the only way I can understand what you described.

My other thought was to do with time/phase alignment of the sub-woofer with the mains.  Unless you've taken some care to make it so, it's very likely that the sub and mains will not be in phase at the cross-over frequency.  That is generally considered to be a requirement for good integration.  Maybe some tinkering with the phase control on the sub-woofer would be useful.  (Is it continuously variable, or just a 0/180 degrees polarity control?)

One other question on this. Is there any rule how to change the phase when I decide to use 1, 2, 3, 4th order filtering? For Example if I use full range or 2nd order high pass on the speakers. Does that effect the phase of the subwoofer?

Unfortunately I can only choose 0, 90, 180, 270 degree of phase.

Right now, I'm more blending the speakers and subwoofer. The subwoofer crossover is at 90Hz. The speakers was at 25, now at 50hz. Should I have to set both filter at the same value? Or do i need o leave a bigger gab between them?

The subwoofer is not getting a signal when the speakers get full range. I can even turn the subwoofer off and I will notice a big difference between the 25hz filter and the full-range. Sounds like if the filter affects much more than just up to 25Hz.

Thanks for help.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Subwoofer and Mains Filter - Problems? - by technikspezi - 27-Oct-2015, 19:19